Need a cheap server supporting 5410 Xeons and DDR2 ECC 800 / 667 Ram

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I need a test ESX cluster soon ish ... I have a SAN available, a bag full of 5410 Xeons, countless DDR 2 ECC 800 / 667 Ram dims and SAS / SCSI disks (and Areca / Adaptec cards to the max), all I need is the server hardware itself (1 or 2U, mobo, PSU etc.).

Can someone suggest a cheap rack-mountable server which supports above hardware so I can go eBay hunting ?

It is always easier to look for something if you know what to look for :):)

Our own range of hardware is simply too expensive to be used as test server and I therefore have all the other bits, just not the necessary chassis / mobo etc..... My boss doesn't mind if I take the server we got, but I want to avoid someone suddenly asking for them because we need a spare or something .. So I rather spend a few bucks and put them in our datacenter and don't have to worry about the rest ...

I would build a normal PC for cheap money, but they have to be rackmountable !
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Finding a server on eBay without the CPU, RAM and HD might be a little difficult. How cheap is cheap anyway?

Can't you just get a rackmount shelf and stick a regular PC on it?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might be better off to just get a barebone from hp or dell or ibm (whoever your company deals with) with the minimum specs and upgrade them with the stuff you already have. I know dell has a site where they sell returned/refurbed server equipment.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With cheap I mean under $500 / server :)
    I don't mind getting one with CPU anyway, as long as the motherboard supports CPU upgrades with the 54xx series.

We don't use neither HP, Dell or IBM ... I will have a look at the refurb ones .. Trouble is, a barebone system we normally sell is at least $800 already .. which is a bit steep for a test server (which I will need for about 6 month only)... and that is just our buying price ...
    Actually thinking outside of the box, I just search for general systems on the HCL with 54xx series CPU

846_Capture.png
  • BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The problem with going hp is you will most likly not be able to use the CPU's you have without buying HP special heat sinks also cant re-member if hp still need the Daughter cards for each Xeon you install.
    dont get me wrong i love HP but they are right goyts about CPU upgrades oh and HD as well.
    I would look barebones supermicro if i were you as they are cheep fast and well made. also has the plus's of being generic screw your own hdd in controller cards and CPU. also there 1U have a riser for 2 Pci Express that you will probably want 1 is SFF so keep in mind. that will give you 2 onboard Intel nic's "expandable" 1 slot for HBA and 1 for NIC.

Hope this helps

J
    Funny you mention Supermicro icon_wink.gif I just found two old 6025-B SCSI systems and a couple of 5130 CPU, Ram and a bunch of 10k 73GB SCSI disks icon_wink.gif Firs host is done, second in a bit and a collleague will be installing the lot in the datacenter on Friday. As iSCSI storage I will be using one of our WUDSS Server which are connected via Gigabit link. Not perfect, but good enough to learn the new ESX4 stuff so I can renew my VCP icon_smile.gif