Options

Western Governor's University - MS Information Security and Assurance

Comments

• Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think most of what you are saying has already been addressed in this thread. As far as certs go, I know of other schools and community colleges that will do that. For that matter don't forget that you can test out of many classes, in fact most classes in a traditional college.

++++ This ++++

My school is fairly well know for its CIS program and I have personally tested out of 3 classes and have been able to waive a class based on my Security+ Certificate.

Certificates usually cover 5 credits or more worth of material in my opinion. Considering I've studied over 500 pages and then some for each CompTIA cert I've earned, I think it's completely fair.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I think it's a good change.

Yes, I decided not to go with them because I was frustrated by their process. I completed the Network+ in 2001 and they would not count it because it was over five years ago, yet I had my CCNA in the last two years. That and they give no credit for the CISSP when the program is geared towards it, but one of the BS degrees get 30% of the credits waived for having it.

At that point, my employer announced the partnership with UMUC and I jumped on that. Now, if they would take my two courses at UMUC when I am done in May, I would certainly consider going to WGU to finish up, as I could probably have the masters done in one semester, since I plan on doing CEH in May, as well.

Upon further review, it looks like they take the CCNA in place of both the Network+ and that wireless cert that they had before. Seems like a good change overall.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    i start this degree in Jan 2011
    so excited

any comments on which courses in Masters are Dam hard, and which ones are easy win.

I can't see the COS till the 2nd icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anybody know where to find if (any) certs transfer to the MS IA program?

I know from reading these posts that the CISSP does not transfer, but the program results in you having several EC-Council and Cisco certs, so I wonder if it's a good idea to take them on my dime before admission.

I'm planning to start the program in May, and hopefully finish in time for commencement in December icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The degree is now 9 CU shorter in comparison to so it could theoretically be completed quicker.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    aethereos wrote: »

I know from reading these posts that the CISSP does not transfer, but the program results in you having several EC-Council and Cisco certs, so I wonder if it's a good idea to take them on my dime before admission.

I'm planning to start the program in May, and hopefully finish in time for commencement in December icon_wink.gif

Not a bad idea at all...
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone verified that a CISSP will not transfer in? Seems odd that the program states that it is designed around the CISSP but doesn't require taking the exam or allow it to be transfered in. On the WGU website there are several higher end certs not on the list like the CISM and CWNP certs as well as the SSCP and CISSP.
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    aethereos wrote: »

yeah thats my plan before enrolling to WGU. I think it should get transferred.
  • Options
    WGU is much stricter on certification transition in their Masters Program. In the previous version of the degree the only thing you could get waved was the Network+.

As for the CISSP transfer I am in the Masters Program and the classes that do not have certification tests are deeper in design and application of knowledge. The use of that knowledge in the 10 domains would allow you to pass the CISSP, having the CISSP does not say you can design technical controls. Some of these design classes are easy depending on your knowledge some are not.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    WGU is much stricter on certification transition in their Masters Program. In the previous version of the degree the only thing you could get waved was the Network+.

As for the CISSP transfer I am in the Masters Program and the classes that do not have certification tests are deeper in design and application of knowledge. The use of that knowledge in the 10 domains would allow you to pass the CISSP, having the CISSP does not say you can design technical controls. Some of these design classes are easy depending on your knowledge some are not.

Chris, so did you transfer in any of your certs? I have similar certs and am hoping they'd accept some.

I have 10 years of infrastructure experience and can put in about 20-25 hours/week of studying so I'm trying to gauge how long it would take to finish the program.
  • Options
    I work on average 50 to 60 hours a week. They accepted Network+ nothing else so I assume they will accept CCNA. I put in about 30 hours a week studying for both work and school and I should be finished 1.5 years after starting.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just saw this, and I am not sure how I feel about the changes... mainly because I have very limited CCNA-type networking experience (more regulatory and compliance), so it will be quite a challenge for me. I wish they had announced the changes sooner, to give those that feel they gained more under the old path the chance to get started initially, and be locked in.

That's what I get for putting it off until I move back to the states... :/
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    I just saw this, and I am not sure how I feel about the changes... mainly because I have very limited CCNA-type networking experience (more regulatory and compliance), so it will be quite a challenge for me. I wish they had announced the changes sooner, to give those that feel they gained more under the old path the chance to get started initially, and be locked in.

That's what I get for putting it off until I move back to the states... :/

Your decision to wait may not be "that bad". The program is not yet NSA-CAE, and we'll know some time in June this year. I followed a bunch of threads on WGU communities (active student status required) and know they're working on it.

That said, I don't know if the designation matters that much to private employers. I can't imagine someone turning me down primarily because my masters degree is not yet NSA-approved.

I am holding CISSP, SSCP, Sec+ but I don't expect the classes to be easy; on the contrary they may be harder because I'd have to fight my tendency to overlook topics I think I know.

Some people have completed their Bachelors in one semester with units transferred in but for the MS IA does anyone know what's the average time people have taken?
  • Options
    What does the designation matter even to gov entities? I haven't seen a position advertised yet that asked for it... or is it something that is just looked upon more favorably when they see the degree? I don't know that even the feds would decline someone because their degree wasn't NSA-CAE approved.

Just wondering...
  • Options
    What does the designation matter even to gov entities? I haven't seen a position advertised yet that asked for it... or is it something that is just looked upon more favorably when they see the degree? I don't know that even the feds would decline someone because their degree wasn't NSA-CAE approved.

Just wondering...

I've been wondering the same thing.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Just wondering...

It adds more credibility to the program. Any additional accreditation that provides a "stamp of approval" to it is a good thing, as it says you're getting a viable degree and can perform the tasks at an expected level.

You've got to remember, there are people constantly picking at the value of a WGU degree, let alone the value of online degrees in general so ANY extra accreditations are a good thing.

If they can just get AACSB accreditation for their MBA, then we'd really be in business (pun intended)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    If they can just get AACSB accreditation for their MBA, then we'd really be in business (pun intended)

By the time that happens, many of us would have already earned one elsewhere...I don't see any plans for them to earn AACSB...not that it matters anyway, but still.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    \
    Certificates usually cover 5 credits or more worth of material in my opinion. Considering I've studied over 500 pages and then some for each CompTIA cert I've earned, I think it's completely fair.

ACE (American Council on Education) only recommends two stinking semester credits for most certification exams (ACE is who many colleges refer to for credit equivalency evaluation). I always thought that sucky, given one typically studies harder for most certifications than they would for a one-semester class.

I don't think most certs are worth 5 credits, but I certainly think most are worth at least 3. Maybe the Cisco exams are worth 4. This is where I don't necessarily jump for joy over some of the competency unit values WGU assigns to certain exams-- I think in some cases the numbers might be a bit, um, high.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I've been wondering the same thing.

Yes a number of positions are requiring either NSA-CAE designation or CNSS 4012, 4011 formal training. The jobs of I have seen advertised require either or so as of now even if it does not earn NSA-CAE it still qualifies for the later. That being said it is only a matter of time till WGU is granted the title.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Yes a number of positions are requiring either NSA-CAE designation or CNSS 4012, 4011 formal training. The jobs of I have seen advertised require either or so as of now even if it does not earn NSA-CAE it still qualifies for the later. That being said it is only a matter of time till WGU is granted the title.

Good to know!
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a few questions they seem to yet be answered , First what are the real costs for this online learning ?

You can see on their website $2890 for six month term , but are there hidden fees? Like a library fee, and lab fees? I know they are listed but do we get charged for them ?

Second I have not seen a clear answer to other questions about CCNA if you already have it how does it transfer into the degree? Does it cost you?

Third I would love a complete list of all the requirements for the degree ex: list of all classes you must take

Finally how do you handle the Capstone Project ?
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I can answer a few of those.

1) Yes there is a library fee but it is minimal. I think it was something like $45 for the BS program. Yes you do get charged for them.

2) I don't have my CCNA but it would most likely transfer the same way my other certifications transferred. Having the certification gives credit for the class which uses that cert as the final evaluation. Since WGU now uses the two exam CCNA, if you have the CCNA it should waive both of the classes. Remember that WGU doesn't charge per class so if the class is waived its not any cheaper for that term, you just finish your degree faster.

3) I have already completed the capstone for my BS and it should be very similar. Basically you speak with the advisor and your mentor to get a topic approved and then you write the paper. The difference for the master is that you then have to verbally defend your paper.

4) You can find a pdf listing all of the classes on WGU's website. I will edit this to include the link if you haven't found it before I do.

EDIT:
    Below is the link to the MS security info page. Scroll down to "What you'll learn - Areas of Study" section and click the links for "more details" and the "program Guide" to see required classes.

WGU Link
  • Options
    ill_aceill_ace Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering if anyone who has recently enrolled has been able to transfer certs. I have the following Certs and none of them transfered:
    ITILv3 Foundations
    COMPTIA Sec+
    GSEC
    GPEN
    DC3 Intrusion and Log Analysis
    DC3 Incident Response Fundamentals

I am just surprised that none of my certs counted towards anything. Is this normal with WGU?
  • Options
    Yes. They only accepted my Net+ when you earned your N+, CWNA, and CWSP in the program. That has been replaced by the CCNA now.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started this month for my BS in IT NDM degree and all of my certs transferred (well, in reality the MCITP: SA transferred in place of everything that the other would have normally hit).

They even transferred into the two courses that support the 643 and 647 (which I'm thinking about releasing from transfer so I can still take the tests on WGU's dime to get my MCITP: EA). I'm surprised your Sec+ didn't transfer if anything, that one is a standard class at WGU for most of the degree programs.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm surprised your Sec+ didn't transfer if anything, that one is a standard class at WGU for most of the degree programs.

I will bet your salary that his or her Security+ is more than 5 years old.
  • Options
    ill_aceill_ace Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my sec+ is only a year and a half old. They still requested I send it because my BS was not in IT. It doesn't count for anything other than the admissions process.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ill_ace wrote: »
    my sec+ is only a year and a half old. They still requested I send it because my BS was not in IT. It doesn't count for anything other than the admissions process.

Apparently, I kept overlooking the fact that you may be applying for a program that cannot transfer your Security+ since there is no equivalent course to that in the program you were trying to get into. It makes sense to me if you were trying to apply for the MSISA program. If you are applying for the BS in IT with Security emphasis, then there's definitely something wrong here since Security+ should be transfer into that program.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not just the Security emphasis but any of the BS in IT degrees at WGU I think have the Security+ as part of their curriculum, so yeah, if you were going for any of the BS in IT degrees then yeah, it'd be strange that at least that didn't transfer but if you're not then I suppose it makes sense.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Well, how does it work if you already have Security+, but it is more than 5 years old, and it is part of the curriculum? Do they make you retest? Or does it just 'excuse' you from doing the tasks associated with that course?