Denied Access to Files but Can Still Access?

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
I’ve got a question for those that are more experienced in a large network environment. My networking experience lies mainly in the smaller networks I used to work on.

For some reason I can’t access certain files (PDF’s) through a share via //servername/folder/filename but can access everything via mapped drive //mapped drive/folder/filename.. Permissions, effective permissions, individual file permissions are all intact and correct it should be allowing access but won’t taking the long route? I don’t mind the short route but some people don’t have the mapped drive and it’s easy to put a “Click here to view” in an email than to explain how to map a drive or get there by clicking though each folder. Actually clicking through each folder doesn’t help any either? PDF versions used are 1.4 and 1.6 some 1.4 are viewable others are not, the same for 1.6 there’s no distinction? The files were saved in and around the same timeframe as well? This is very strange as like I said using the mapped drive everything is viewable?

Is there something out there on the network possibly interfering with things or a software conflict maybe with adobe? The files I can open show a preview those that I can don't have that preview.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Weird. It's too late to put any real thought into this, but you can just create a GPO logon script that maps the drive with net use. Then they'll always have it.
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree it is weird, I thought maybe I was missing something? Ah well like you said just direct them to a share might be better.

Thanks! :)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only thing I can think of - maybe the UNC share and the share being used for your drive mapping are different, and the share-level perms are not the same.

At which level are you getting access denied... all the way down to where you click on the file, or is it further up?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...