Options

server failure call-outs (aka NOC)

jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I am in need of someone who does the following NOC duty, but on a very small scale:

-One of our high-priority servers has a critical alert.
-Monitoring system generates an alert - sends it to (insert person here)'s phone.
-This person calls:
1. SA #1
if no ans...
2. SA #2
if no ans...
3. SA #3

Basically my boss wants me to find someone who can just be on call on the weekends and physically call us if something goes wrong. We are too small of a company to have our own operations to do this sort of thing that you typically see in a datacenter environment. Does anyone know of anyone who does this sort of thing?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Can't your monitoring system do this? Its already calling somebody.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »
    Can't your monitoring system do this? Its already calling somebody.

That's what I was thinking.

If you just want somebody to call other people, I'll do it for you for a small fee icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I don't believe the monitoring system has its own calling center. It just sends out emails. My boss wants a person to have someone call us (home/cell phone), incase we arent checking out blackberry messages at, say 3am
  • Options
    yeah, the system only does email...no voice
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What monitoring system do you use? Someone over at the Groundwork Open Source forums made a plugin to work with Asterisk. When there's an alert in Nagios, it calls the appropriate person and tells them what the problem is and if they accept the alert. They can either accept it or decline it, in which case it tries calling the next person. Pretty neat!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    yeah, the system only does email...no voice
    Find an email to SMS gateway maybe?

If you just want a quick solution then knock up something which will keep emailing people until somebody acknowledges the alert.