Options

CompTIA Strata Exam

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was surfing the net and came across this certification that i've never heard of. Believe it or not but its supposed to be one level lower then the current A+ exam.

http://www.comptia.co.za/framework/certification/CompTIA%20Strata%20Fundamentals%20of%20PC%20Functionality%20Objectives.pdf

CompTIA launches new course for IT beginners - vnunet.com

Is something like this really needed?

Comments

• Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Geez, the A+ is low enough as it is.

Are they serious?
  • Options
    Soon after there will be a Strata1 and Strata2 exam aimed to allow candidates to take only half of the test...as simple as it already is...and THEN once you take the first one, they will probably have its own certification as well...oh wait Cisco already did that nvm.
  • Options
    How would you guys feel if you were interviewing someone for a position and all he had was this Strata cert or if your co-worker only has this Strata cert?
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    How would you guys feel if you were interviewing someone for a position and all he had was this Strata cert or if your co-worker only has this Strata cert?
    I would recommend the person to take, at least, the A+ certification. :)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this would be for normal people "Not IT Super dudes :D"

in the objectives (3.2)
    Escalate to IT professional when needed.

it would be like one module from ICDL "International Computer Drivers License" .. and knowing comptia I think it would be more expensive icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    wd40 wrote: »
    I think this would be for normal people "Not IT Super dudes :D"

in the objectives (3.2)
    Escalate to IT professional when needed.

it would be like one module from ICDL "International Computer Drivers License" .. and knowing comptia I think it would be more expensive icon_lol.gif

I agree. This is not something that someone who wants to pursue an IT career should consider, but this cert would be nice in situations where a business isn't large enough to have a full time IT person. Someone whose job is entirely unrelated could obtain this level of knowledge much easier than the A+ level, and be in a position to be the remote eyes, ears and hands for their "Super IT Dude" when issues come up. They may even be able to sort out some basic issues on their own. :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    CompTIA apparently believes that there's a business niche that this cert will fill.
  • Options
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    Someone whose job is entirely unrelated could obtain this level of knowledge much easier than the A+ level, and be in a position to be the remote eyes, ears and hands for their "Super IT Dude" when issues come up. They may even be able to sort out some basic issues on their own. :)
    That is a good point,especially in small branches
    Like changing the backup tape, or checking and reporting what is on the monitor.

some time back [2 months ago] we had people rebooting OS/2 Servers on daily bases, having someone who knows about PC's would have helped in troubleshooting and resolving small issues.

[Yes, we had OS/2 Servers until 2 months ago icon_lol.gif]
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    JDMurray wrote: »
    CompTIA apparently believes that there's a business niche that this cert will fill.

Yeah, the business of putting money in their pocket.
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    Yeah, the business of putting money in their pocket.
    Yes, the goal of every for-profit business in a capitalistic country.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    agreed... Nobody can run a business without getting profit.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Kasor wrote: »
    agreed... Nobody can run a business without getting profit.
    Except for "non-profit" business model, of course. ;)
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thats low. and you thought A+ was easy enough. this one tests you against common knowledge and get a cert for it.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Actually A+ is not that easy, I know many people that failed A+
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    wd40 wrote: »
    Actually A+ is not that easy, I know many people that failed A+
    That is true. However, most will agree that there is quite a bit of "quiz-related" material you would only experience on this exam. Not many people these days expect you to know the speed, wattage, slot/socket of a 486SX. ;)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    matradley wrote: »
    That is true. However, most will agree that there is quite a bit of "quiz-related" material you would only experience on this exam. Not many people these days expect you to know the speed, wattage, slot/socket of a 486SX. ;)
    I agree there's some trivia-type stuff on the A+ exams, but haven't they moved on from 486SX?? I took the 2003 version and it's been a while so I don't remember specifics, but I'm pretty sure they aren't still testing folks on antiquated technology, and the 2009 version (which is rumored to be released soon) is likely to move even further away from old technology.

From what I can tell, the Strata exam is geared towards specific markets and/or, and I can't find a trace of it on the US CompTIA site other than on their exam development page (where you can sign up to be a subject matter expert for different exams).
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    I agree there's some trivia-type stuff on the A+ exams, but haven't they moved on from 486SX?? I took the 2003 version and it's been a while so I don't remember specifics, but I'm pretty sure they aren't still testing folks on antiquated technology, and the 2009 version (which is rumored to be released soon) is likely to move even further away from old technology.
    I agree with that, But I think they added some newer stuff that an average technician can not pass with experience only.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL, can you imagine if this certification became an industry standard? The only reason why I picked up A+ was because I see so many employers asking for it. Man, I can't imagine having to study for this thing. I remember trying to keep my eyes open while I studied for the Vista exam. This one would be impossible...
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my bad. the A+ mustve changed since I took it in 2004. i think i read the first ~20pages of "A+ for Dummies" and got sick of it, took the test couple weeks later and passed, though i admit it was a "close one" and would never do that again (seriously thought i failed)
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    my bad. the A+ mustve changed since I took it in 2004. i think i read the first ~20pages of "A+ for Dummies" and got sick of it, took the test couple weeks later and passed, though i admit it was a "close one" and would never do that again (seriously thought i failed)

So, it was not that easy .. easy enough to pass, but you have to study to master it.

I passed the exam in 2003, it was in the great adaptive format where you have 20 to 30 questions only per exam .. I passed both exams in under 10 minutes :D
  • Options
    I was on the CompTIA site and came across the official info for the Strata exams. There calling it a Level 1 certification with Level 2 being A+ and Level 3 being Network+.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I was on the CompTIA site and came across the official info for the Strata exams. There calling it a Level 1 certification with Level 2 being A+ and Level 3 being Network+.

CompTIA Strata Exams
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    •Certified or seasoned IT career professionals who want to enhance their credentials

Hmm...
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the Strata - Green IT cert looks interesting, but not 100 bucks interesting.

• Options
    DreamcryptDreamcrypt Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I am one that has an interest in the Strata certification. I do not want the certification to turn me into some sort of IT guru. Instead I am looking at the certification as a method to show I am not inept when it comes to technology. Most organizations with an emphasis placed upon "Fortune 500s" are global and almost every member will be operating some form of technology in their daily job. The mere fact that the organization does not have to spend time and money on training someone the basics of what a smartphone is could be enough to get chosen over the next person for the job.

I know the certification is not going to land me an IT position being responsible for an entire computer network but then again that is not a position I am seeking.

However, I am confused as to why CompTIA offers three versions of the certification: IT, Green, and Sales. The confusion increases when I gaze through the objectives and GreenIT is included in the on for IT. This appears to be repeating the same concept in multiple certifications. The sales one appears to be something that organizations may put employees through in order to put that extra edge on their sales force (management perspective). The general IT version might be nice for most office oriented positions since it would decrease the number ridiculous calls to the IT departments. Personally I would recommend this certification to anyone that was not an IT professional but uses IT products because it decreases that gap that exists between the laymen and the expert.
  • Options
    GeekyLaciGeekyLaci Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way I understood it from my Instructor, unlike the A+ cert, the strata never expires. And who doesn't love certifications ;)
  • Options
    The CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals certification is not listed in the CompTIA Continuing Education Program, so "certified for life" it is (for now).
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the strata. When I look at my cert transcript it lists it as N/A for expiration. Also, wow at thread revival.