Study timeline / plan template for ICND2?

nelsonnrnelsonnr Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey!

I've just begun studying ICND2 today. Very excited about achieving the CCNA soon.

Anyways, I like to plan and I've got a good idea of how I'm going to tackle this one, but I just wondered if anyone had come across some timeline planning templates specifically for the ICND2?

In other words, I've got the exam date booked (28th July) and now I'm planning the revision (Odom, CBT Nuggets, Flash Cards, Practise Exams etc) but - is there a quick way to break down each ICND2 topic (based on the Cisco exam blueprint) and allocate time (hours/days) per topic?

Perhaps someone has already created a weekly study planner?

If not no worries - I'll just make my own one up. I'll post it up here when I get to the end :)

I suppose everyone is different and has their own study techniques when it comes to planning and co-ordinating time :)

Comments

• davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing your ICND 1. Here is my study timetable sort of.

Learn the below topics thoroughly
    Create Labs and PRACTICE
    Answer 50 Sub netting questions each night
    Read the book thoroughly
    Do practice exams
    Study each topic thoroughly for 2 weeks each

640-816 ICND2 Exam Topic (Blueprint)
    Exam Description
    The 640-816 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2) is the exam associated with the Cisco Certified Network Associate certification. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2) v1.0 course. This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills required to successfully install, operate, and troubleshoot a small to medium size enterprise branch network. The exam covers topics on VLSM and IPv6 addressing; extending switched networks with VLANs; configuring, verifying and troubleshooting VLANs; the VTP, RSTP, OSPF and EIGRP protocols; determining IP routes; managing IP traffic with access lists; NAT and DHCP; establishing point-to- point connections; and establishing Frame Relay connections.

Exam Topics
    The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    • Describe enhanced switching technologies (including: VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q)
    • Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    • Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network
    • Implement basic switch security (including: port security, unassigned ports, trunk access, etc.)
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    • Calculate and apply a VLSM IP addressing design to a network
    • Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment
    • Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc)
    • Describe IPv6 addresses
    • Identify and correct common problems associated with IP addressing and host configurations
    Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices
    • Compare and contrast methods of routing and routing protocols
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot OSPF
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot EIGRP
    • Verify configuration and connectivity using ping, traceroute, and telnet or SSH
    • Troubleshoot routing implementation issues
    • Verify router hardware and software operation using SHOW & DEBUG commands
    • Implement basic router security
    Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    • Describe the purpose and types of access control lists
    • Configure and apply access control lists based on network filtering requirements
    • Configure and apply an access control list to limit telnet and SSH access to the router
    • Verify and monitor ACL's in a network environment
    • Troubleshoot ACL implementation issues
    • Explain the basic operation of NAT
    • Configure Network Address Translation for given network requirements using CLI
    • Troubleshoot NAT implementation issues
    Implement and verify WAN links
    • Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    • Troubleshoot WAN implementation issues
    • Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
    • Configure and vary PPP connection between Cisco routers

Exam Day: September 7th 2009
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • nelsonnrnelsonnr Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for posting your technique davidspirovalentine.

I have worked out that I have 130 hours to study and learn the ICND2 before exam day on 28th July 2009. I'm going to split this 130 hours up into covering my major study materials which basically consist of:

1) Cisco Press ICND2 study guide by Wendell Odom (17 chapters)
    2) CBT Nuggets ICND2 Videos
    3) Practise exams
    4) Any other sources like cisco.com, blogs etc
    5) Hands on experience in my Cisco lab
  • blackngold4877blackngold4877 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just one word of advice. The ICND 2, at least for me, was a lot more difficult than the ICND 1, I mean it wasn't even a contest. I found the first test to be a cakewalk, the second one I was amazed when I got my score because I honestly thought I did a lot worse. Study everything, a lot.

I personally found the CBT Nuggets and Cisco press to be the best study tools that weren't hands on. I would go through the config on Packet tracer with the CBT nuggets videos. I would also set up large networks with 4-5 routers, VSLM, VTP, Frame Relay, etc and get the whole thing talking then once that was set up add in access lists and what not.
    Thanks blackngold. Very good advice here. I can see its much more in-depth. I too found the ICND1 to be straight-forward but heck, I'm going to give this one 110%.

I feel a bit more confident because I read the whole CCNA course last year. I then had a long break and read Wendell Odom ICND1 and passed that.

I'm hoping VLSM, access lists, VTP, STP etc are going to make a come back.

I'm also going to make a point of enjoying this exam - really want to get into detail on the switching and frame relay - I think this exam will provide that!
    there was a REALLY GOOD lab manual that was on these forums a few weeks ago...

Did you grab a copy? if not, pm me and ill send you a copy

Its free by the way...

but i forgot which thread its on... tried doing a search bu got nowhere...
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    thanks black ninja!

yeah, try it out and tell us how you go!