Options

On my way...

To go take this one. I have had to reschedule several times due to many factors, I haven't had much time to study like I want in the last 2 months, but I have to hurry since the second shot is running out at the end of this month. I'll update as soon as I get back.
-WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    FAILED! 50 questions and about 6-7 sims. I guess a 641 isn't so bad given the circumstances, but still gutted.

I can't complain too much, I have had to reschedule several times in the last 2 months and haven't dedicated enough time to preparing. I may have gotten even closer, but I left the sims/lengthy questions (AND BOY ARE THEY LENGHTY) for the end. I usually have 15-30 minutes left on the other tests. I have to say this test is a hard mother! Personally, 291 is not the beast!

Everyone has said, and I will echo, TIME MANAGEMENT is of the utmost importance. IMO, with the time alotted for this test, MS really needs to either shorten their question lengths or add more time. I think had there been an additional 15 minutes, I would been able to finish this without feeling rushed. I was skimming fast through the end of the question pool and sims. I do write out a lot of visuals on the questions/topology while reading so I can get an overview of what they are looking for, which has helped me in the past.

The usual, heavy on the GPO, RRAS, DNS, IPSec, CA's, IAS and backups.

I think that it would be quite difficult to pass this test if you don't have a lot of hands on with the subject matter or lab the hell out of all the subjects. I will say that the question pool did seem to be more clear if you could just read all the material in a timely manner.

Well, gotta take the second shot before next Tuesday, so I will focusing more ( read...cramming/labbing) by then. Good luck to anyone taking this test, I left with an even greater respect for anyone passing this exam and MCSE's in general.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Hey Moto, sorry to hear you didn't pass your exam today either. As someone who has been there, I empathize. :)

That being said, you're a smart cookie and remember that What one man can do, another can do!

To speak to your comment about respecting people with MCSE's... doesn't this just make you want to strangle the idiot managers out there demanding an MCSE for Helpdesk positions?! Lol
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    Thanks mate! Yeah, since I have been on this MCSA/MCSE trek, it's been full of high's and lows. I love putting the pieces together, learning in technology, and respecting how hard it is to actaully gain the certs! I just keep in mind that at one point in time, I didn't have my MCP or MCSA..... and look at me now maw! I'm not moving as fast as I want, but that's not as important as "knowing" the material. I know I can do this, just need to improve on my weaknesses and suck it up and drive on.

With that being said, it does make it even worse when you hear/read of the value that some HR/Managers put on having the higher end certs. Just the time invested is enough to make it feel like a slap in the face, but when it's all said and done, I know that I work hard for where I am, don't ****, and am learning a ton of skills. That alone gives me the power to realize that the only way someone will lower my self worth is if I let them.

I think the problem now is that people are out there taking advantage of the situation. I know people need work, so it all comes down to how bad to you need a job and when things pick up, well, people never forget how they are treated.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    genXrcist wrote: »
    .....doesn't this just make you want to strangle the idiot managers out there demanding an MCSE for Helpdesk positions?! Lol

YES! Ever since I've been on the MCSE track, I've started to wonder "what kind of information do these people think the MCSE covers?" From the look of some of the job postings I've seen, they seem to treat the MCSE with the same respect as the A+! I saw one job ad for a Network Admin type position that said MCSE or A+ preferred.....How the hell can you even compare that. Are you telling me that the A+ is just as good as the MCSE? Boy, if these morons only knew...
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have to laugh when I see a job position paying $10 hour for Tier 1 support and they say MCSE preferred! Obviously written by a person in HR who has no idea of the work and education that goes into getting an MCSA (E)

Hey Moto: As you know, Time management is very important on this test. I use the paper they give me and write down all the numbers. I put a check mark next to the questions I know and mark the ones I'm not so sure of. This saves me a lot of time on the exams.
    I think you were only 2 answers away from passing, I'm sure you'll blow it away next time! :D
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sorry to hear moto, but keep going. I'd say a solid 2 weeks of studying might do it; maybe even a week. You seem to have a positive attitude, so focus on the the lower scoring objectives on your score sheet, then go back and kick its ass!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. I'm sure you will knock it out on your second attempt. Good luck to you!

When I take the test I'm thinking about marking all of the sims and leaving them until the end, and focusing on the regular multiple choice questions. Do you think that would be a good idea?
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    Thanks fellas! I was talking to the office manager where I sit the tests and she said that there are a lot of people getting certified, due to the economy, people are wanting to get ahead and shine above the their competition. Good for the industry!

Johnny, time management is where I got caught out, so I would suggest getting the sims out of the way first. I was told by an instructor at the testing center that he preaches that methos in his classes. I would assume that they weigh higher on the exam, so I am going to finish them first next time.

Thanks for the advice everyone on how to approach this test and the encouragement. There was a thread where someone posted that people get too bent out of shape when taking these tests.

I have to agree, to be honest, I have been stressing over them and I finally decided to go in with an attitude of "just take the damn thing idiot," and if I don't pass, then obviously I don't know the material like I should. It's not an insult, just a reality check. Besides, $125 per test is far better than blowing $250 and upwards for other tests. I just hope MS continues the second shot. I have been all over the world and seen how bad a lot of people have it, so I try to keep that in mind.

Good luck guys!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed: