Options

dynamips

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I hear a lot of people refer to Dynamips for simulating a Cisco IOS. I am working on the CCNA exam - can anyone recommend a proper Dynamips setup? Specifically, how many PC's should I scavenge? I understand I should use Dynamips w/ actual switches. I have three 2900's and one 2900XL, would these switches + dynamips be enough to cover the CCNA lab?

Mucho gracias.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're going to want to go with 2950s for switches, ideally three. What are the specs on your PC? I can get everything I need going on my laptop.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks I will look in to getting some 2950's. What is it the 2950's can do that the 2900's can't?

For the PC I have a Dell Optiplex something around 2.6GHZ and 2GB RAM and I also have a laptop (similar specs) I could use.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'm thinking of runnign dynamips on my laptop (2Ghz & 3GB RAM). Mostly for use at work when I can't hit up my lab.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    rsutton wrote: »
    What is it the 2950's can do that the 2900's can't?
    Compare. The CLI was changed slightly as well and commands are different in newer switches.

Ideally you want at least 1x 2950 EI.

The 2950 is EoS/EoL now and has been replaced by the 2960 but for the purposes of the CCNA, it is still okay.

The 2900XL however is also EoS/EoL but even older than the 2950 and not ideal. It will do as a 3rd switch if you remember the differences and differences in commands.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Your laptop should be fine for running dynamips. I run it on a laptop with simillar specs with no problem.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.