Options

built my new machine over the weekend

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I built my semi new pc over the weekend. I bought a i7 920, 6gb corsair, msi sli platinum, and a coolermaster v8. I set it all up and i was able to overclock the cpu to 3.9 ghz and the mem from 1066 to 1552 mhz. Temps on a prime95 test never went above 150 degrees. System seems to be very stable and very fast. I ran a windows 7 index on it before the over clock and the cpu got a 7.2 and mem got a 7.4 after the overclock the cpu went to a 7.6 and mem went to 7.9. I am very pleased with this setup and the fact that i got that high with the cpu on air. Dont plan on going any higher cause its already fast but my gpu is the bottle neck using a 8800gt for now till i can buy something a lot faster. spent $680 for cpu,mb,mem, and fan.

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't oc'ed mine at all yet, but I also built an i7 920 a week or so ago. Very fast machine, and from what I'm reading out there - very overclockable. I was fortunate enough to have been shipped the D0 stepping which is apparently better for overclocking.
  • Options
    I haven't oc'ed mine at all yet, but I also built an i7 920 a week or so ago. Very fast machine, and from what I'm reading out there - very overclockable. I was fortunate enough to have been shipped the D0 stepping which is apparently better for overclocking.

Ya I got the D0 stepping also which i was glad about. most people say that the C0 goes to about 3.6ghz on air but i have read that the D0 goes upto 4.2 ghz on air before you should start to worry. I am very happy with my purchase. I had a athlon 6000+ and it scored a 5.9 on win 7 index score so its a big difference in that and from what i noticed. This is the 4th i7 i built but this is my first one that is for me so i am happy to finally have one.
  • Options
    TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    which mobo did u sue
  • Options
    Therhino wrote: »
    which mobo did u sue

Here is the link for it. Some people give it bad reviews but I think thats just lack of knowledge on their part and not the fault of the MB. I have built 4 i7's including mine with this MB and never had an issue.

Newegg.com - MSI X58 Platinum SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards