Options

Dynamips

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hello, new to Dynamips here. When I start Dynagen, is all of the text on my Dynamips server screen suposed to be scrolling at mach 5 speeds without stop? I thought this was strange...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nope, probably not.

Did you get a => prompt in the Dynagen command window? And did the Dynamips window ever stop scrolling?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Yes I did get that prompt in Dynagen. The Dynamips window never stopped scrolling.

I should fess up that I might have caused this by associating my .net files with Notepad. I then associated it back to the other recommended program which I thought was the original program. Can anyone confirm what .net files should be associated to?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Notepad is fine if you want it to load in a text editor by default. Anything that is a plain text editor and doesn't add any fancy formatting like Word will work. I prefer Notepad++ myself icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    Notepad is fine if you want it to load in a text editor by default. Anything that is a plain text editor and doesn't add any fancy formatting like Word will work. I prefer Notepad++ myself icon_cool.gif
    Pfft. I use butterflies.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it possible to run Dynamips/Dynagen as a stand-alone, bootable distribution? I'd like to run it (them) as a VM in VMWare, and I'm hoping I can boot it (them) directly without needing Windows as guest OS. If not, is it (they) distributed pre-installed on a BartPE or Linux LiveCD?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton wrote: »
    Yes I did get that prompt in Dynagen. The Dynamips window never stopped scrolling.
    Did it let you start routers? Access routers? etc?

If you quit Dynagen, does the Dynamips scrolling stop? Are there any obvious errors?
    Can anyone confirm what .net files should be associated to?
    My .NET files default to GNS3 (since I loaded it last), but I also have the option to open with notepad, dg-local, firefox, or wordpad. :D

dg-local.cmd is the default Dynagen program for .NET files
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it possible to run Dynamips/Dynagen as a stand-alone, bootable distribution? I'd like to run it (them) as a VM in VMWare, and I'm hoping I can boot it (them) directly without needing Windows as guest OS. If not, is it (they) distributed pre-installed on a BartPE or Linux LiveCD?
    I'd just do a minimal installation of a Linux distribution instead of a LiveCD. If you don't mind it not having a GUI then you forgo installing X and that will slim down the install significantly.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    tiersten wrote: »
    I'd just do a minimal installation of a Linux distribution instead of a LiveCD. If you don't mind it not having a GUI then you forgo installing X and that will slim down the install significantly.
    I could have Dynagen running as a shell on Damn Small Linux and Dynamips running underneath. It would be a kiosk-like configuration. It doesn't seem that this configuration currently being distributed as a VM.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did it let you start routers? Access routers? etc?

If you quit Dynagen, does the Dynamips scrolling stop? Are there any obvious errors?

My .NET files default to GNS3 (since I loaded it last), but I also have the option to open with notepad, dg-local, firefox, or wordpad. :D

dg-local.cmd is the default Dynagen program for .NET files

Yep I can start routers and everything appears to be working. There are no error messages. My .net files are configured to open with dg-local. It just is weird seeing this text fly by, it's like watching the Matrix. 8D
  • Options
    I take that back. The routers are starting however when I do a console /all the text in the telnet console's are streaming as well. I just reinstalled dynamips/dynagen but it does the same thing!

Also, unrelated but when I start Dynagen it list two 7200 routers although the IOS image I specified in the .net file is for a 2600. =\
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I take that back. The routers are starting however when I do a console /all the text in the telnet console's are streaming as well. I just reinstalled dynamips/dynagen but it does the same thing!

Also, unrelated but when I start Dynagen it list two 7200 routers although the IOS image I specified in the .net file is for a 2600. =\

2600 IOS images must be manually decompressed when used with dynamips. I'm guessing you haven't done this?

Any other supported image does not have to be manually decompressed, but it makes the start up a lot quicker if dynamips doesn't have to decompress the image each time at start up.

You also might want to make sure in your .net file if you are using the 2600 IOS to specify the model under each router.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I did decompress the image. Interestingly if I set the model to model = 2610 it seems to work: no scrolling text and I can telnet to the router. Maybe the 2600 isn't supported.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I did decompress the image. Interestingly if I set the model to model = 2610 it seems to work: no scrolling text and I can telnet to the router. Maybe the 2600 isn't supported.

2600 is the series the model is 2610 or 2650 or what ever.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying.
  • Options
    The architecture of a 7200 router and a 2600 router is significantly different. It isn't surprising that it was stuck in a crash loop if you were telling it to load a 2600 IOS into a virtual 7200.