Options

70-642 pass

PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
Not as well as the rest of you, but with only a month and a half of study on mostly new material, I'm very happy to be the newest MCTS..

holy buckets there was a lot of DNS questions, I'd say 20+ out of 50.. Thanks to the recent postings saying the same, I reviewed that the most and it's entirely possible that it put me over the top.. a lot of command line answers as well, some of those were best-guesses..

Now a break to enjoy summer and then will hit up 70-640 AD and/or Windows 7.. tonight I celebrate!

*addtnl - I now have an unneeded second shot voucher code for anyone that would like to use it.
:study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later

Comments

• Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    So, you basically skipped the 640 and did the 642. I thought it was best done in order. but, congrats I wonder if I should skip 640 and do 642. Then take 640 afterwards. Did you just read the book and/or cbt?
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Well done mate... however I must say doing 640 before I did 642 helped me heaps.

The DNS knowledge you have from 642 however will assist you greatly with 640. I suppose the good thing about 642 is that if you don't have a strong background in IP, it will give you a good understanding of it which does help in 640, so really people can do it either way.

I didn't pass my first one either that well, just under 800 I think was my score but I must have spent 2 months on study whereas this last one was only a few weeks. The combination of the two helps as there are questions in both which are on the same subject.

I scanned 646 yesterday (the MS Press book) and again lots of the stuff covered in 640 and 642 are in 646 which is a huge benefit if doing them close together as my brain is still in study mode :)

Top job mate.. it's a good feeling isn't when you finally get out of the way :)
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    t3ch_guru wrote: »
    So, you basically skipped the 640 and did the 642. I thought it was best done in order. but, congrats I wonder if I should skip 640 and do 642. Then take 640 afterwards. Did you just read the book and/or cbt?
    Yes, I decided that with the Win 2003 troubleshooting experience I had that Infrastructure was a better starting step for me, I haven't done much with AD besides using it.. besides, the 642 book was thinner icon_silent.gif

I read the book without doing the labs, did all 200 practice questions after that, started the book again using the results of the practice test to key in on weaker areas, doing the labs this time.. did all 200 questions again to check my strengths/weakenesses and then used the resources at the top of this forum, which were very helpful in filling in some gaps and expanding on the command line syntax
    Well done mate... however I must say doing 640 before I did 642 helped me heaps.

The DNS knowledge you have from 642 however will assist you greatly with 640. I suppose the good thing about 642 is that if you don't have a strong background in IP, it will give you a good understanding of it which does help in 640, so really people can do it either way.

I didn't pass my first one either that well, just under 800 I think was my score but I must have spent 2 months on study whereas this last one was only a few weeks. The combination of the two helps as there are questions in both which are on the same subject.

I scanned 646 yesterday (the MS Press book) and again lots of the stuff covered in 640 and 642 are in 646 which is a huge benefit if doing them close together as my brain is still in study mode :)

Top job mate.. it's a good feeling isn't when you finally get out of the way :)

a very good feeling! I'm in a mix right now, my brain is exhausted from the study and the last two late nights, but the rest of me is jacked from the pass lol

Good news about the crossovers of info, I'm glad the IP and DNS knowledge will be of good use in 640, should allow me to concentrate on the rest.. maybe I shouldn't take too long away until I finish the 646

Thanks everyone
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    babixgbabixg Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

I just wrote this exam today too and I passed with 800.

I signed up for the 83-740 first but when I went to write the exam their computers won't load into the VMs..... so they told me to go else where to write the exam (LOL)...

So after another few weeks to study I wrote the 642 since this is the closest testing center to me.

I guess I'll have to find another one to write the 83-640.

Any idea if I should write 643 first? since I know the testing center will be able to provide it (no VM). or should I find myself another test center and write the 640?

Thanks...

*Now I gotta go to the library to see if they even have the 643 book.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    By anychance for the 83-640 did you arrive early and you tried to start early?

That's what happened to me. I tried to start about 30 mins early as I was there, only problem is when the VM's are scheduled to start at a certain time, they only start at that time. For the 83-640, only start at the time you have specified we worked out cause as soon as my exam time hit, the VM's kicked in.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    babixgbabixg Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My exam time was supposed to be 8AM... I started trying at 7:50am....

Then the administrator kept on trying for me till 8:30am... Then he got mad and told Prometric on the phone that it won't work.. They tried to remote into the PC.
    The rest I don't know. The admin just told me that it wouldn't work and that I'd probably have better luck elsewhere. I left that test center at around 8:45am.

However, I was able to see the exam screen; Just that I get internet connection errors to VMs (but the internet on the comp works... the admin proved it to me).

Thanks