Options

Those who know everything !

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
This is just a rant I wanted to post long ago...

I know you all guys face this issue all over the world, but it's really getting to me !

It's about some co-workers of mine (not some, many actually !)

Whenever anybody ask them about any technology, say for example, ask them if they know "sendmail", they will immediately answer "Yes of course I know sendmail". or if you ask them have you worked with Cisco gear they will say yes yes of course..even though this might be the first time he hear about Cisco itself !

I really ignore these people and mind my own business...but most of the time I end up doing their work ! They go to customers...start talking and talking and talking...get stuck, come back to office...then It's my job to finish the task ! I admit I learned a lot from these idiots...but I can't work 100 hours a day forever, you know what I mean ! And if your boss is not a technical person, he WILL be fooled by those who do nothing but "talking".

They think if they saw the software once in their life then it means they can handle it ! They don't know the difference between knowing the ins and outs of a product and just knowing of the product ! They think if you have experience in changing Power supplies then you can configure a WAN cluster ! If they hear a person talking about MS Exchange in a coffee shop, they will immediately add it to their resume...assuming they know enough !

I'm just wondering how you guys deal with these people ? And do you think there are lots of them out there ? because everyday I see at least plenty of these people !!!

oh by the way, they're certified in almost anything. They can get certified in two days...it's easy...they know the stuff very well....for them to know the answers and "understand" them is not cheating...and "those certifications exams are dead easy!" icon_lol.gif
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    RiskblingRiskbling Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    This is just a rant I wanted to post long ago...

I know you all guys face this issue all over the world, but it's really getting to me !

It's about some co-workers of mine (not some, many actually !)

Whenever anybody ask them about any technology, say for example, ask them if they know "sendmail", they will immediately answer "Yes of course I know sendmail". or if you ask them have you worked with Cisco gear they will say yes yes of course..even though this might be the first time he hear about Cisco itself !

I really ignore these people and mind my own business...but most of the time I end up doing their work ! They go to customers...start talking and talking and talking...get stuck, come back to office...then It's my job to finish the task ! I admit I learned a lot from these idiots...but I can't work 100 hours a day forever, you know what I mean ! And if your boss is not a technical person, he WILL be fooled by those who do nothing but "talking".

They think if they saw the software once in their life then it means they can handle it ! They don't know the difference between knowing the ins and outs of a product and just knowing of the product ! They think if you have experience in changing Power supplies then you can configure a WAN cluster ! If they hear a person talking about MS Exchange in a coffee shop, they will immediately add it to their resume...assuming they know enough !

I'm just wondering how you guys deal with these people ? And do you think there are lots of them out there ? because everyday I see at least plenty of these people !!!

oh by the way, they're certified in almost anything. They can get certified in two days...it's easy...they know the stuff very well....for them to know the answers and "understand" them is not cheating...and "those certifications exams are dead easy!" icon_lol.gif

Reminds me of my supervisor that don't know jack about jack. Whats even worse, is when he tells you something that is utterly wrong and you don't argue with him because he has rank. Therefore, they get into the habit of thinking they are always right no matter what, and I guess when they leave the military you can call them the shitbag they are. (Military)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    They sit in there...watching the machines working fine...talking about the speed of the CPU and the series of the router...and when problems happen they call someone to fix it, and when that someone fix the problem they get the illusion that THEY fixed it lol
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah man I know what you mean. The worst bit is really a manager who doesn't know the technology in question. It happened so often that he thought that one particular guy is a genius ... The only way I was ablt to deal with it was leaving ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I call those kinds of people "Console Queens". Just make sure that you are documenting your work and getting the credit.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.