Options

Dynamips / laptop

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
I just got Dynamips up and running a few days ago on my laptop. I am confused however about how to connect it to my switches. I only have one ethernet port on my laptop however I am simulating four routers. Can anyone describe the topology for me? I have 4 2900 switches I would like to connect to the laptop, not sure yet how this will all work together. Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Buy a bunch of USB ethernet adapters or trunk to a switch to break out your individual connections.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You need to get some more NICs if you want to connect them all. Or you can connect your virtual routers to a virtual switch. The connect that virtual switch to one of your real switches and daisy chain the rest. Not the best solution, but at least you will have connectivity to all of them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply's. Based on the suggestions it seems like I can set things up as follows, can you guys confirm if something like this setup will work?

To expand on the cheesy paint diagram; the setup would be three virtual routers with their LAN facing interface connected to the virtual switch. The virtual switch would be connected to an actual 2900 switch VIA the ethernet port on my laptop. Connected to that switch would be three additional switches which would then be connected to a few old laptops. As far as I can tell I only need to setup the ports on the virtual switch and the ad-hoc "core" switch as trunk connections.

If you guys see a better way to configure this given my current equipment, I'm all ears :D
    LAN.JPG 37.4K
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Looks good to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.