Options

Help me to decide getting developer's certificate.

coding-toting*coding-toting* Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I came across this forum when my brother told me about this. I really enjoyed viewing this forum .
I am in a delimma regarding following issues.

1-I am under a 4 year fulltime regular bachelor’s degree course (Bachelor of Technology – Information Technology). I want to do a Microsoft Certificaiton course (MCPD: Microsoft Certified Professional Developer). [FONT=&quot]Will it be appropriate for me to do get this certificate now or after 4 years?[/FONT]

2-I have completed BlueJ(Java) , C and C++ as basic level already . The Languages that I need to study for this certificate (MCPD) are C#,VB and .NET. With which language I should start with ?

3-I actually want to take projects from Find Freelancers, Professionals, and Contract Workers for Hire - Guru.com , GetAFreelancer | Online Freelance Jobs | Employment | Design | Outsourcing | Programmers | Web Design | Freelancers and Rent A Coder: How Software Gets Done -- Home of the worlds' largest number of completed software projects . Will this certificate be appropriate for me to get projects?

4-What is the Validity of this certificate? Will it expire after sometime ? If yes, how could I renew it.

5-What is this certificate’s stand alone value in market and what is its value with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering-Information Technology ? Will it be profitable after 4 years i.e., when my bachelor’s degree course Is over?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Are you planning on trying to find a job with this now? Technology changes rapidly, so if you're not going to use the certification for four years, it probably won't be current.
    2. .NET is a framework that both C# and VB use. You only need to focus on C# or VB (although you can do both if you want). I'd go with C# myself.
    3. It can only help.
    4. I don't think this expires, but it will lose value as technology changes. If it does expire, you'd only be required to recertify on newer versions (which you should be doing anyway, so it really shouldn't be an issue).
    5. It's a piece of the puzzle. It's certainly not going to be worth more than a degree, but it's not going to be worthless either. However, it doesn't seem like the developer certs carry as much weight as the other IT certs.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Please do not post the same question in multiple forums.