Options

Someone learned Japanese using a selfstudy course ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wd40 wrote: »
    You can always watch Japanese TV, this is how I learned English, the basics at school and the rest on TV icon_lol.gif

Yes, but that drives home my point. You had a teacher!

I learned a lot of Portuguese from Brazilian Telenovelas but without the chance to practice on the streets of Brasilia, I would not have spoken with as good of a degree of fluency.

I was once an English Language instructore, BTW. Two of my BEST students were twin sisters. They learned, like you, the basics in class; but what really drove their language was the sitcom Friends. They would watch it and talk to each other in English. They had never traveled abroad and had accents like they had been raised their entire lives in the States. Just amazing.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, but that drives home my point. You had a teacher!

I learned a lot of Portuguese from Brazilian Telenovelas but without the chance to practice on the streets of Brasilia, I would not have spoken with as good of a degree of fluency.

I was once an English Language instructore, BTW. Two of my BEST students were twin sisters. They learned, like you, the basics in class; but what really drove their language was the sitcom Friends. They would watch it and talk to each other in English. They had never traveled abroad and had accents like they had been raised their entire lives in the States. Just amazing.

You have a good point.

I understand almost any English accent, American, British, "Hindinglish <English spoken by people from different Indian states>" etc,
    But I do not have an accent, I can say the words and form correct sentences but it would be Accent less icon_lol.gif I think it is too late for me now to get one, after more than 15 years of speaking English this way.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can always sign up for J-List Friends (possibly NSFW if you google), and exchange email, chat, etc. That's my next step once I feel a little more confident.

No, Dynamik! Get in there and start now! it's the best way to motivate your learning. Even if you F up, using it is the best way.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can always sign up for J-List Friends (possibly NSFW if you google), and exchange email, chat, etc. That's my next step once I feel a little more confident.

I signed up on a English speaking Japanese dating website which also has penpals and friendships ones .. Sent out a few mails so maybe I can get someone to talk to me :D:D

Oh and funny enough, two of them are in LONDON ... that might be easier :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p