User can't rename anything on his desktop

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a really odd problem. One of my users reported an issue to me and I haven't been able to find any one with a similar problem to help me.

He can create a shortcut on his desktop but cant rename it. He can move whatever he wants into it but cant rename any of it though he can delete it. I have logged him into other computers and have logged onto his computer with other accounts and the problem is only on his computer. I even went as far as making him a local admin. The only account thats not having this problem on his computer is my Domain Administrator account.

"Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Comments

• qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FYI

The user is also the owner and has full control over his desktop
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just glancing at the title, I thought it might be an ID-10-T error icon_lol.gif

Are you using folder redirection or anything like that?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Assuming the storage is all local, it could be a hard drive starting to go bad.
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    GPO blocking the changing of desktop items?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does he have a bunch of codecs and other crap installed? They can interfere with Explorer when its trying to do its preview.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Do you have the same problem in safe mode? Tried ending explorer.exe and then opening up a prompt to see if the same thing happens in there? Try process monitor and see what may be locking those files? Process Monitor
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just glancing at the title, I thought it might be an ID-10-T error icon_lol.gif

Are you using folder redirection or anything like that?

Yes I am using redirection. According to the server the user has full control and is the owner. I only have this problem on his computer, He doesn't have this issue on other computers. Its something thats specific to his computer
    Jordus wrote: »
    GPO blocking the changing of desktop items?

No because this problem is specific to his computer.
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    qwertyiop wrote: »

No because this problem is specific to his computer.

What if someone applied loopback processing to that machine. icon_lol.gif
    Jordus wrote: »
    What if someone applied loopback processing to that machine. icon_lol.gif

I'm not familiar with loopback processing but dont think thats the case because it only effects that computer and I would think youd need admin access for something like that
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to delete "or rename" the local profile folder and ask the user to login
    wd40 wrote: »
    Try to delete "or rename" the local profile folder and ask the user to login

Where would this be located?
    Just to make sure I understand this, you want me to either delete or rename his profile so that he can log in again and let windows recreate it?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep, that's what he is saying.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username

Vista: C:\Users\username
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Yep, that's what he is saying.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username

Vista: C:\Users\username

Exactly, but remember to backup the user profile before you delete .. so it would be better just to rename it.
    wd40 wrote: »
    Exactly, but remember to backup the user profile before you delete .. so it would be better just to rename it.

My office is closed tomorrow so im going to have to wait until Monday to try it.

I'm a little worried this wont work because it appears to be happening to all the domain user accounts that log onto his and only his computer
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's a problem for all users on this specific computer I back up the pertinent information and nuke it. Reimage the machine and get it back into production.
    RTmarc wrote: »
    If it's a problem for all users on this specific computer I back up the pertinent information and nuke it. Reimage the machine and get it back into production.

Thats what I was thinking. I tried to used windows system restore but it always failed no matter what date I choose. This workstation belongs to one of our senior engineers and he has a few programs installed that I have to find the licenses for so it might take awhile since my predecessor didn't really organize any of this information. I'm not even sure where all his needed programs our located since someone decided that it was wise for certain users to order there own licences for the programs and alot of them still have the software.
  • blackeggblackegg Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What OS is this user using?
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary...those that do and those that don't!
    blackegg wrote: »
    What OS is this user using?

Windows XP Pro w/SP3
  • gandalphgpgandalphgp Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if it is only this machine then use a utility called unlocker (google it) it is a free application and it unlocks folders and covers the following
      It has many other flavors: Cannot delete file: Access is denied There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use. The file is in use by another program or user. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a corrupt profile.

Check his network profile to see what the last date he accessed it was. Re-create if necessary and re-name the local before he logs in.
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll take Corrupt User Profile for 500... icon_lol.gif
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
    Tin_Man wrote: »
    I'll take Corrupt User Profile for 500... icon_lol.gif

I'm going to have to give it Unlocker tool didnt work.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    What were the results from my suggestions?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/