Options

At what layer are Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet the same?

szmarcekszmarcek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
This question comes from BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide

[FONT=PNJKGP+Times-Roman, serif]At what layer are traditional 10-Mbps Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet the same?[/FONT]
[FONT=PNJKGP+Times-Roman, serif][FONT=PNJJLG+Univers-Bold, sans-serif]a. [/FONT]Layer 1[/FONT]
[FONT=PNJKGP+Times-Roman, serif][FONT=PNJJLG+Univers-Bold, sans-serif]b. [/FONT]Layer 2[/FONT]
[FONT=PNJKGP+Times-Roman, serif][FONT=PNJJLG+Univers-Bold, sans-serif]c. [/FONT]Layer 3[/FONT]
[FONT=PNJKGP+Times-Roman, serif]d. Layer 4[/FONT]

Answer b

Are ethernet, fast ethernet and gigabit ethernet different at layer 3 or layer 4? Probably I should know it but I don't icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Layer2 is the only proper answer, ethernet doesn't extend into the network or transport layers.

Layer1 is incorrect because different media can run Ethernet (copper, fiber, etc)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Layer2 is the only proper answer, ethernet doesn't extend into the network or transport layers.

Layer1 is incorrect because different media can run Ethernet (copper, fiber, etc)

+1 on the layer 2 answers. I choose this because they all use the same ethernet FRAME type (which is defined at layer2).
  • Options

If this answer sounds cryptic to you (which is possible but this is def. correct) think about this. Ethernet only defines two things: MEDIA and FRAMEING. Which basically means that layer 1+2 of the OSI. Various cables can be used to carry various ethernet speeds but the frame types will be the same.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was trying to avoid directly giving an answer, instead explaining why the others are incorrect. The natural follow-up question would be 'ok, *why* is layer 2 the only answer?' which is something worth studying hehe
  • Options
    Yeah, I was trying to avoid directly giving an answer, instead explaining why the others are incorrect. The natural follow-up question would be 'ok, *why* is layer 2 the only answer?' which is something worth studying hehe

lol sorry to step on your toes there lol.
  • Options
    So it cannot be L3 or L4 becasue ethernet standards don't define those layers at all. I should know that icon_redface.gif.

Thank you both for reply and good explanation.
  • Options
    szmarcek wrote: »
    This question comes from BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide
    Dont take this the wrong way but why were you reading the BCMSN guide? Are you an CCNA?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    knwminus wrote: »
    Dont take this the wrong way but why were you reading the BCMSN guide? Are you an CCNA?

Last I checked anyone could read the book. Not just people who have obtained the CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Last I checked anyone could read the book. Not just people who have obtained the CCNA.

True, but trying to understand CCNP level material when you don't understand CCNA level material seems a bit silly.

Not the mention the answer to this question is about as simple as the CCNA material gets.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was getting at.
  • Options

I passed CCNA a year ago and as I wrote I should know the answer straight awayicon_study.gif.
  • Options
    /usr wrote: »
    True, but trying to understand CCNP level material when you don't understand CCNA level material seems a bit silly.

Guys,

I have asked a simple question to which I should know the answer but at that time I couldn't come up with one. Having CCNA doesn't make you an expert and sometimes you can still not know an answer even to a simple question.
    Not the mention the answer to this question is about as simple as the CCNA material gets.

Sometimes we spend so much time trying to do different configurations that we forget about simple concepts. At least, that is what happens to me icon_wink.gif
  • Options

That is very true but I was just curious, really. While he could read CCNP level books what good would it do? I mean I could go read CCIE books if I wanted to but It probably wouldn't do me any good icon_lol.gif
  • Options

+1. That is what I was saying entirely albiet a bit nicer.
  • Options
    I said don't take it the wrong way gosh... icon_lol.gif

Knwminus,
    I didn't take it wrong way.

By the way, I am trying to prepare for two exams at the same time.
    I am working on Microsoft 70-293 (schools in Scotland are starting holidays and therefore there is not much happening at my work now to say the least icon_lol.gif) and BCMSN in the evenings and I think it may not be the best idea after all because by the time I get to my BCMSN I am rather tired and then I end up asking stupid questions like this one which you have to answer :D

Thanks for help.
  • Options
    lol sorry to step on your toes there lol.

No sweat off my back, it's a habit I seem to have picked up from mike ;)

As far as the rest... there's nothing wrong with reading CCNP material while studying for the CCNA. Plenty of folks read CCIE material when prepping for CCNP exams, and it's good form. The official study material for exams you may be studying for might bring to mind a question and the answer is not contained therein. It's reasonable to assume that the next higher level of certification will have the answer you're looking for.

It's absolutely essential to grasp core concepts and how things relate to each other. The only details you're going to remember are the ones you work with on a regular basis. If you need specifics for something you don't normally work with, you need to be able to do one of two things - Either know where to find the answer, or be able to extrapolate it from your core understanding. Being able to do both is, of course, even better.