Options

Answer file not accepting Computer Name (RESOLVED)

I prepared a fully-automated answer file using the setupmgr.exe file included in Deploy.cab.

The install process goes automatically except it stop and says computer name must be provided. It has computer name as "Administrator" and the message says "Administrator" and Guest are not valid computer names. I went back and changed, so computer name could be created automatically. Answer file doesn't get saved with this option.

Why is the computer named "Administrator" and how can I get around that?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure why it was named that. However, can't you just edit the file manually?

You can't have the computer name be the same as a user name, so those two are obviously out.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Post your answer file. Just open the WINNT.SIF in notepad and copy/paste it. It is likely that you simply got confuded when creating it and put the user name in the wrong field...
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks guys.

I figured it out. Looking closely, I realized the error message was pointing to "Username" and "Full Name". I looked at the answer file and there was this line:

[UserData]
    FullName="%UserFullName%"

I simply replaced it with a dummy name and it worked. So apparently, it was taking the username (Administrator) and change it to Full Name. Funny thing was when you go through the GUI to create the answer file, there was no place to indicate "Full Name" (this is needed when in the install process you get prompted to enter Name and Organization.