Options

Master of Science in Internetworking vs. job experience

bugsybugsy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm considering taking this masters degree, as it seems to have quite a few interesting classes and is aimed towards Cisco / CCNP, which I am studying for on my own at the moment: UTS: C04160v5 Master of Science in Internetworking - UTS Handbook 2009.

I finished my bachelor degree a while ago, and I have a CCNA and about 3 years work experience (it was 4 years ago, and mostly related to Windows 2000/2003 server administration - some, but limited networking stuff - mostly configuring linux based firewalls).

I am looking for work in the networking field, but haven't had any luck as of yet... So I'm trying to figure out if I should just go for some helpdesk job while studying for the CCNP on my own, or if I should go for the aforementioned masters degree which takes 1 1/2 year to complete. The tution is about 40k AUD, which is about 32K USD. If also taking loss of income into account, its quite a bit of money...

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I'm trying to think long term here... and whether 1.5 years more experience would be better than the master?

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Only you can decide what's best you. If it were me, I'd keep plugging away at he job experience and then do an M.S. in something like Comp Sci or Comp Engineering. Maybe an MBA if you wanted to move into management.

A CCNP can be obtained on your own, all you need is the will and drive to do it. Case in point, we have a guy at work with an M.S. degree who works in Tier 1 while some of the Tier II guys have no degree. They have the experience though... that trumps it all.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phantasm summed it up pretty well there. I too have an MS in Telecomm Engg. from a decent school but it didnt help me land a job. But that could be because I had hardly any experience back then. All in all, I believe experience trumps a degree. Keep plugging away at the certs and gather the experience. I'd recommend doing an MBA if you want to get into a managerial role later in your career, dont do a Master's.

Just my $.02
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Honestly, if I were you, I'd look at doing that Master's degree when you're able to. It looks very interesting, but as you said, it's also a lot of money. Maybe you could spend the next year working and studying for your CCNP, then see if you're in a place, financially, to start on that degree? That way, you'll not only be able to save up some money and prepare yourself for school-life again, you'll also have the added benefit of carrying CCNP-level experience with you into the program. By the time you're done, you'll have a Master's degree and another year of experience under your belt, in addition to the credentials and experience you already carry that's going to look very good on your resume. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Sanis4lifeSanis4life Banned Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat as the OP, well perhaps a little better off. I have been working as a Network Engineer for the last 2 years and am seriously considering working towards my Post Grad. I was just recently accepted to Queensland University of Technology (QUT) in Master of Science in IT, with an option in Network Management (QUT | IT44 Master of Information Technology (Advanced)). I feel that being able to plug away towards finishing my masters while living in Australia, and completing my CCNP as part of the curriculum are icing on the cake. All and all not a bad deal! On top of it, the GI Bill should flip the cost for most of it all.

On the other side, I would have to sell everything in my apartment and give up a job in this unstable economy. It's a tough decision to make, but talking to some of these old timers around here, I am 31, they said if they had to go back and do it all over they would complete their educational goals before settling down. I have too hard of a time studying while working full-time. It is my personal fault, so I figure going to school full-time will help with my CCNP goals.

To each his own...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    You have your CCNA and 3 yrs of experience in Windows administration; so I recommend you try to get a networking job. You can use your experience and get Sysadmin job that has more networking responsibilities.

After getting that job, you can start thinking of CCNP...and later on a master degree. That's what I would do...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com