Opinion on company education reimbursement policy

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Guys, wanted to get some opinions on what people's experiences have been with their company's education reimbursement policy.

In the past I worked for a company and I didn't know better and I started to get my master's thru them, and if I were to terminate from the company I would have to pay back whatever they reimbursed me. Well I was laid off, so I didn't have to pay anything (lucky me).

Now where the company that I'm at, I asked about them paying for some advanced certs (MCSA and CCNA), since I've paid for the basic certs (CompTIA Certs), out of my own pocket. I figure its time for them to start to help me out. Looks like all they are going to pay for is the test, not books or any hardware. AND, the department manager has to sign off on it. Also, looking at the fine print, once I past the certs, I have to stay with the company for at least 1 year.

So, want to know what others think of this 'benefit.'
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Generally, whomever pays gets a say in how things go. Generally, I will find a way to pay my own way for things...keeps the lines of ownership cleaner.

From what you are describing, this does sound fair and in-line with places I have worked and some of my friends worked. Nothing unexpected. FWIW.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do the terms state if you do not remain with the company for a full year after they pay for a certification exam? If it's simply that you are to pay back the cost of the certification exam and/or any additional resources (should the decide to cover books or anything additional at some point) then I don't see much of a risk to it. Consider it free money, should you happen to find greener pastures, maybe you have to pay out some cash to cover the exams your prior employer paid for if you didn't stick around for a full year.

So long as you only have to pay back any exam costs they cover if you leave prior to a year (which is all I can honestly see them asking for should you leave), I would take advantage of it. If you remain there a year, great - and if you don't, well you are probably leaving for a better deal and the small investment out of your own pocket to get the bigger better deal isn't bad. Be happy they are paying for the exams, I know a lot of people who have a very difficult time getting their employers to even do that. I had a tough time getting my employer to comp me for a book I purchased about a monitoring solution I was implementing for my company, times are tough - employers are not as willing to give out extra benefits.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My company pays for my certs. I pass a cert and forward the invoice to the manager who signs it off and I am reimbursed in the next pay run. We have a library of books too which is pretty sizable but we got to book in advance to have any chance of grabbing a book. In addition, they pay for training/courses if it is required at work, such as VMware.

It is upto the company, really, if they want to pay for certs/training. IMHO, they should if your a permanent with them.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These policies don't surprise me, however, they are usually not enforceable. It's actually a huge risk for employers to put these kinds of things in writing, as it can be seen as a guarantee of a job for the time period described.

It very much depends on the state where you live.

Employers often try to do all kinds of crazy things that in no way will stand up in court. Some know this and don't care, others don't know and don't bother to find out.

My personal favorite is when companies develop their own "tests" to select candidates for employment/promotions....

MS
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I don't think it's fair to 'hold' an employee up in the company just because the company paid for training. Having said that, it's not fair if an employee gets training fund knowing he/she will be out the door in six-month time.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Exams only are paid for me, but i have to return 100% of the cost of the exam/s should I leave within in 6 months.

In all honesty I would say if you are funding all the training materials by yourself (as I do) then just foot the bill for the exam for yourself as well, this is what I am doing from now on as I dont feel as though its fair to only be re-inbursed the exam cost and not the time i put into studying out of hours and the training materials (which arent cheap).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everywhere I have worked except my first job would pay for a test if I passed. One place required the transcript with the stamp. My current job has purchased books in the past, but they're property of the company, and they were something more than one person could benefit from.

Depending on job requirements or strategic direction for the department, I might get classroom training too.

I think paying for test only is pretty standard.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After reading posts like this and experiencing the same thing at my previous job, I really feel extremely lucky.
    At my current employer, my certs, training, lab equipment, books, etc...are all paid for. I don't even really have to get approval. As long as I don't go overboard, I just turn it in on my expenses and no one cares much.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote: »
    After reading posts like this and experiencing the same thing at my previous job, I really feel extremely lucky.
    At my current employer, my certs, training, lab equipment, books, etc...are all paid for. I don't even really have to get approval. As long as I don't go overboard, I just turn it in on my expenses and no one cares much.

same here. i recently had to turn in a package that included all my certs, how long it took me to study for them (so i could be reimbursed), the books, exam fees, travel fees, etc.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    My company's education program only pays for classes from CHEA-accredited institutions that award CPEs, CEUs, or academic credit for classes. If I can find cert classes that meet that criteria (e.g. programs at proper colleges and universities) then I can take them, but the cert exams themselves are not paid for. Some very good training organizations are not accredited and therefore not eligible for my work to pay for. They'll pay 100% for a Ph.D. at USC or UCLA but not a penny for a SANS security class.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    My opinion on my company's reimbursement policy is pretty simple -

It'd be nice if we had one. I am out of pocket for anything I do. Which is fine, but it means that once I finish my CCIE, we're going to sit down and have a nice conversation about the very big raise they're going to give me.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine is alright I guess, I work for an insurance agency. There's tons of educational opportunities regarding insurance that they pay for, but they won't do anything for me in IT. They'll reimburse me for exam costs (if I pass), but not for study materials. And they pretty much laughed when I asked about tuition help for college.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]