Ubuntu 8.10, big pain in the ass

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I've been running Linux, in some form or another for the last 10 years. I started running Ubuntu back in mid 2006 and its been pretty solid. I'm pretty impressed with how pretty much everything just 'works.'

HOWEVER, I've upgraded to 8.10 and I've had the following go wrong in the last few weeks:

-KDE 4.1 is super buggy...Many apps crash all of the time, and for no reason. The only reason I installed it onto Unbutun is I'm kinda of hooked into the Kalendar app because I've been using it so long, not sure what I would do without it (that sounds strange coming from a Linux user, and sounds like some sort of excuse coming from a Windows users)

-Gnome stopped working and the error it is writing to .xsessions really doesn't have a clear solution when I Google it

-Both of my browsers, Firefox and Google-Chrome stopped working for no reason and reinstalling hasn't fixed either one

-I was d/l'ing Ubuntu server .iso file to test via Kget due to all of my woes and it crashed

There have been a few more things that have gone south that I can't remember off of the top of my head. Wonder if anyone else is having issues too...
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why didn't you get 9.04? Haven't had any issues at all with 8.10 or 9.04...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i've been using 8.10 without any issues at all....
  • SatcomSatcom Member Posts: 110
    ive had minor issues with ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop
    like i couldnt get wireshark to run..
    then i typed sudo wireshark.. problem solved
    couldnt get my external monitor to work... changed resolution..problem solved

ubuntu is pretty solid.. just minor things that need tweaking

better than the days of old school redhat
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    For Ubuntun, 8.10 was a pretty buggy release. I had issues with it on some computers, but not on others. Quite a few folks I know downgraded back to 8.04 after 8.10, until 9.04 came out.

Moral of the story, if you have serious objections to 9.04 for some reason, run 8.04 instead, 8.10 has a non-good reputation
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    For Ubuntun, 8.10 was a pretty buggy release. I had issues with it on some computers, but not on others. Quite a few folks I know downgraded back to 8.04 after 8.10, until 9.04 came out.

Moral of the story, if you have serious objections to 9.04 for some reason, run 8.04 instead, 8.10 has a non-good reputation

Yup, I've downgraded back to Ubuntu 8.04 (I have a a cron job that does backup daily to an external hard drive, so its easy to restore).

I'm also going to look at Ubuntu Server too. Once I get VMWare reinstalled, I'm going to play with a few more .iso too..
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love Ubuntu 9.04, works great even on an old P4.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love Ubuntu 9.04, works great even on an old P4.

Same here, I runs great on my own P4 notebook
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I had to downgrade from Jaunty (9.04) back to Heron (8.04) because of the lack of support for older ATI video cards. I'm not sure how well Jaunty works with nVidia cards, but it's fine with newer hardware (i.e., the Vista and Windows 7 effect). Still, I can't find a good reason to leave Heron.