Windows Update install issue, help needed

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I really hope someone can help me on this.

I'm trying to install Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) and get the following SQL error and the error log. I've tried SQL 2005 Express, downloaded SQL Desktop Engine 2000; they install fine, but upon trying to install WSUS, I get the same error. Trying to install in on W2k3 Server, logged on as admin (virtual environment, MS Virtual 2007).

f3w5fl.jpg

MWUSSetup Installing wYukon...
MWUSSetup InstallWyukon: wYukon Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
MWUSSetup CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: Installation of wYukon failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
MWUSSetup CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Although you should already have them, have you check the permissions of the user you are logged in as in the SQL database. You can see details here

Also you might want to trying updating/reinstalling Windows Script Host. Apparently its very tied into WSUS.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you previous had WSUS on there and taken it off? I had a machine where that scenario occurred, and it was a huge PITA to get it back on. Let me know if that's the case, and I can try to track down some links for you. I ended up solving it by digging through the installation log and googling the errors.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I've lost hair due to this problem :)

I just did a fresh install of Windows 2003, installed IIS, .Net Framework 2.0 (as required) and ran the WSUS installation and the same message came up. There is some kind of compatibility issue or an alien hand involved.

Dynamik I would appreciate if you send me the links you mentioned.

Nightshade: I'm logged in as admin, so permission are fine. Also, WSUS installs an embeded SQL database and you can't directly interact with it.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It doesn't matter if you are installing as admin because the system account needs to interact with internally installed database. You might want to try the following:

Go to Services. Attempt to restart the WID service. If it doesn't start, right-click and go to properties. Click on the Logon tab. Even if the credentials are right, change them to System. Click OK. Attempt to restart the WID service.
    Unless you had WSUS previously installed, the information I have isn't going to help. There is an issue if you uninstall and reinstall, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If there's not any other hosts using the SQL instance, I'd remove any and all traces of SQL from that computer and start over. The only botched WSUS I've had was when there was an old instance of MSDE lingering around, like it didn't know what to do with it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If it isn't installing on a fresh install I would suggest redownloading as the installer may be corrupt. I've had that happen to me once and it drove me batty trying to figure out why the installer was throwing weird errors.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks all of you guys, but I gave up icon_sad.gif

I tried all suggestions and googled, tried fresh install of Win2k3, redownloaded WSUS, and same error.

Microsoft must be proud! edit: P.S. I changed my signature below months ago and it turns out to be true!
    Have you tried installing WSUS without installing any database components before that?