Options

well change of plans....

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
My wife is a wonderful woman. She notices problems, reasons with the afflicted, and then offers a resolution. She said that I have looked burned out and she offered advice on how to fix the issue.

That being said I am changing my goals. My gift to my self for my birthday will be an mcsa rather than an mcse. I will still work to get it done, but it will be more than likely sometime in Jan that I will join the ranks. My primary focus will be as follows: JULY: CCNA (RETAKE), SEC+
August:270
September: 290
October: 291

While I will not be enrolled in school until November, I should at least be able to get the MCSA done by OCT. I am just not sure if a CCNA:SEC/Linux+ may be better to work towards than 293/294. Honestly I'd much rather get the linux+ cert so I can get into Linux adminstration (and thusly really learn about OS' and Networking) than get an MCSE and it be not worth it in about a year or two. Also since I plan to go to LPIC-1/2 next year, it may be worth while to invest in the Linux+. I am not sure.

I put myself on such a breakneck schedule before because Im really trying to find another job to provide for my family. Hopefully a MCSA/CCNA/SEC+ to go with my A+/N+ will be enough for level 1 server work. I'm not sure but I will definately go for my goals.

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're looking burnt out maybe you should scale the exams back a bit. Remember your health is also worth something.
    That next job may not be worth it if you wreck your energy levels before even starting.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know what you're feeling, you and I are in very similar situations so I can relate. I'm currently in a job that I really would like to move on to bigger and better things for both salary concerns as well as some other political and job responsibility reasons (lack of room for growth being one). I'm certainly thankful for my job in a time where many are struggling, but I am also going to school as well and with my classes coming to a completion in 8 weeks, and student loans entering repayment shortly thereafter - a better paying job is critical.

My advice in a nutshell is to keep yourself at a pace that works for you without feeling overburdened. If that means that you are not able to meet the goals you set as quickly as you would like, then consider moving some dates back. Keeping a plan laid out for when you would like to have various certifications completed but also don't beat yourself up if you cannot meet it on time. When the industry I work in started to take some hefty hits economically last year, we faced salary reductions and hour reductions late 2008. This gave me a significant reason to earn various certifications and provided me with a lot of motivation - too much motivation. The amount of weight one can carry in a situation where they are trying to better their career in order to more easily provide for their family can be incredible and can easily overwhelm. I also was trying to fit in as many certifications as possible while I was going to school, it's hard to focus on both at once. My classes go all year with short 2 week breaks between semesters so my goals were set too high as well.

That's great that your wife was able to determine you have been becoming burned out, I have friends who are in relationships that are not as healthy and both parties to the marriage are not very observant of each other but only of themselves. It sounds like you have a very good relationship and supportive wife as it sounds like she is very understanding of the benefits that the sacrifices you both make to establish a better career - I'm sure there are a lot of us out there in relationships where spouse doesn't understand the drive to better ones career. From the sounds of things, you have given yourself a schedule that will fit your abilities while not wearing yourself down. I would re-evaluate the schedule periodically and if things are not going as according to plan, try to determine why and make revisions if needed. There's no shame in taking longer to complete your certification goals if it means preserving your mental and physical health in doing so.

Best of luck, be sure to keep us posted as you knock out those exams!
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    If you're looking burnt out maybe you should scale the exams back a bit. Remember your health is also worth something.
    That next job may not be worth it if you wreck your energy levels before even starting.

True. That is why Im only going for the MCSA. I think part of the reason I wanted the MCSE so quickly was the title "Systems Engineer" at the end of it. It sounded nice but ultimately what it comes down to is can I do the job. Im going for the MCSA, Linux+, and then CCNA:SEC to round things out this year. I will start the LPIC-1/2, CCDA or CCNP/SP test, and then MCITP:SA Next year.
  • Options
    I know what you're feeling, you and I are in very similar situations so I can relate. I'm currently in a job that I really would like to move on to bigger and better things for both salary concerns as well as some other political and job responsibility reasons (lack of room for growth being one). I'm certainly thankful for my job in a time where many are struggling, but I am also going to school as well and with my classes coming to a completion in 8 weeks, and student loans entering repayment shortly thereafter - a better paying job is critical.

My advice in a nutshell is to keep yourself at a pace that works for you without feeling overburdened. If that means that you are not able to meet the goals you set as quickly as you would like, then consider moving some dates back. Keeping a plan laid out for when you would like to have various certifications completed but also don't beat yourself up if you cannot meet it on time. When the industry I work in started to take some hefty hits economically last year, we faced salary reductions and hour reductions late 2008. This gave me a significant reason to earn various certifications and provided me with a lot of motivation - too much motivation. The amount of weight one can carry in a situation where they are trying to better their career in order to more easily provide for their family can be incredible and can easily overwhelm. I also was trying to fit in as many certifications as possible while I was going to school, it's hard to focus on both at once. My classes go all year with short 2 week breaks between semesters so my goals were set too high as well.

That's great that your wife was able to determine you have been becoming burned out, I have friends who are in relationships that are not as healthy and both parties to the marriage are not very observant of each other but only of themselves. It sounds like you have a very good relationship and supportive wife as it sounds like she is very understanding of the benefits that the sacrifices you both make to establish a better career - I'm sure there are a lot of us out there in relationships where spouse doesn't understand the drive to better ones career. From the sounds of things, you have given yourself a schedule that will fit your abilities while not wearing yourself down. I would re-evaluate the schedule periodically and if things are not going as according to plan, try to determine why and make revisions if needed. There's no shame in taking longer to complete your certification goals if it means preserving your mental and physical health in doing so.

Best of luck, be sure to keep us posted as you knock out those exams!

IT is nice to see that problems are global, but solutions are as well. At this point I know I need to scale back. my primary focus is to get off of this helpdesk and I think MCSA/CCNA will be enough for that at least. Level 1 server work is fine by me, as long as it gets me off the help desk.
  • Options
    Well I almost have my plans for the year str8. Im now just trying to decided which will be more worth while: Linux+, MCTS:SQL SERVER, or CCNA:SEC. I eventually want to get all 3 but I am trying to decided which two to do before the end of the year (along with the CCNA, SEC+, and MCP/MCSA I already plan to do). Anyone have any input?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well I almost have my plans for the year str8. Im now just trying to decided which will be more worth while: Linux+, MCTS:SQL SERVER, or CCNA:SEC. I eventually want to get all 3 but I am trying to decided which two to do before the end of the year (along with the CCNA, SEC+, and MCP/MCSA I already plan to do). Anyone have any input?

Since you are hoping to get away from the help desk, I think the Linux+ would be my first choice from your list.

The Linux+ would better round out your skill set, while the MCTS: SQL Server or CCNA: Security I would consider to be more specialized. I would first focus on the broader range certification like the Linux+ to give you a more diverse exposure to various technologies now and then once you move up into more hands on server work you can focus more heavily on a specialization.
  • Options
    Since you are hoping to get away from the help desk, I think the Linux+ would be my first choice from your list.

The Linux+ would better round out your skill set, while the MCTS: SQL Server or CCNA: Security I would consider to be more specialized. I would first focus on the broader range certification like the Linux+ to give you a more diverse exposure to various technologies now and then once you move up into more hands on server work you can focus more heavily on a specialization.
    I have to agree. Linux+ is something I really want to do. I want to do it at the end of November. I think it will be a good warm up for the LPIC-1 and 2 test I plan to do next year. Alot of jobs around here want CCNP or CCSP and I wanted to at least say Im working towards both since CCNA:SEC is required for CCSP now. I am not sure.

I have an interview on Thursday with a company on Thursday for a Net Engineer position. Basically I would travel to client sites and Set up the network from the ground up and fix any reoccuring issues. They told me that it would be a great learning experience for me: I would get to touch on everything from Linux to Windows to Cisco to Citrix to SQL to everything in between. The only bad thing is the place is about an hour and a half a way, but they said I wouldn't need to report there at all.

Here is the job description:

The ideal candidate will be friendly, conscientious, and enthusiastic, with at least four years of hands-on experience in the IT field. Candidate should also be knowledgeable in: Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Backup Solutions, Network Solutions, TCP/IP and routing concepts, Network Security Hardware and Software, Switching/VLAN, Linux, Unix, and IP Telephony. Experience with Apple computers and MAC OS X is a plus. The candidate should enjoy a fast-paced and challenging position in the technology field while also possessing a strong desire to both learn and contribute to the development of the company.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    knwminus, you can also avoid getting burnt out by finding the least technical hobby/side-job that you can find. I know plenty of folks in the IT business that follow this practice too and it helps immensely. For example, one has gardening as a hobby, another does drywalling on the side, and I enjoy cooking.

I'm sure you can find a little something that you enjoy doing that isn't all 1's and 0's, while preparing for those exams. I know you have a lot on your plate, but a hobby doesn't have to take up too much of your time. Good luck!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    knwminus, you can also avoid getting burnt out by finding the least technical hobby/side-job that you can find.

Fishing :D

Out on some quiet water with the mobile phone turned off, I just wish I had more time to go!
  • Options
    Maybe going to the gym if that counts...