Options

Cert's on your resume become redundant?

Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
When does listing cert's on your resume become redundant? I have added them to my resume but took it off again because IMO it looked a little crowded. So how does 1 put this?

This is what my resume has right now:

MCP
MCSA
MCSE

Do I put it like this?

MCP
MCSA
MCSA: Security
MCSE
MCSE: Security

OR like this?

MCP
WIP: 70-647 (5%)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Tin_Man wrote: »

MCP

I give my vote for this format. Nice and clean without the redundant information.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I spell mine out and put the acronym in parentheses in hopes of being more visible to automated searches though.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I just list the highest i.e MCSE:Security and any job specific i.e MCTS:ISA Server 2006

And also provide details of my online transcript keeps it nice and tidy
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like all you would list would be

Unless they specifically mention MCP ot MCSA in the job description just list the highest in the chain I would think.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I agree with Daniel and I just put my title as MCSE:Security as if you are an MCSE who cares that you passed a test and were a MCP or MCSA before. Unless it is a different type of test like my Exchange 2k7 exams which are 3 tests but makes me a MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator. There is no sense to putting that I passed one exam when I got all 3. Just put the highest. I have 13 Microsoft certs but it would be too long of list to put them all so i can sum it all up in 2 lines.

MCSE:Security 2k3
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2k7

That being said if job sites for some strange reason get a *hit* on a MCSA and don't have MCSE you may not get found. Now this seems kinda foolish but I guess this could happen.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The reason behind putting all the certifications regardless of the level is that a lot of the time resumes are scanned for keywords. We all know that HR people are not certification professionals and may not know the difference between MCSE and MCP. You wouldn't want your resume not being pulled from a pile just because you left MCP off even though you have the MCSE. I have even seen some people with a "keyword" section at the bottom of their resume to prevent this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I've been putting everything, regardless of redundancy. I don't want to get passed up for an interview because the job reqiures a CCNA and the clueless HR person didn't realize that my CCNP > CCNA.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is ironic that we still dealing with HR that don't know anything about IT. This is one of the reason why U.S IT field went down, Outsourcing and lacking good IT people at the Govn't.

HR is a major obstacle that many companies didn't get the right person for the right job. Specially at the Govn't system.....

Back to the topic,

1) If the resume will at the system. Then write down everything plus the (short termnology)

2) If it is directly involve with a person, then only the list the highest level.

For example: MCSE: Security, not need of anything else. However if the position that might related to MS DB and you have a MCSA: Database, then list it on the resume.

3) Target your objective... OK and don't be lazy.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keep in mind the resume you use for webcrawlers and the one you bring to the negociation table are different beasts.

A resume is a moving target. Always needing tweaking to meet the expectation of the person who is reading it.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest reverse the order and keep everything. You are dealing with HR and actually HR spiders. However I also suggest writing like "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer: Security (MCSE: Security)"

YMMV
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ashenwelt wrote: »
    However I also suggest writing like "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer: Security (MCSE: Security)"

Yep, that's exactly how I list mine.