Options

Sleepy...

sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone else feel like falling asleep at work? I just want to take a nap right now or something... I guess a big lunch combined with a late bedtime makes for a tiring afternoon. sleeping.gif

Anyone discover a change or something they did to be less sleepy (besides chugging a ton of Red Bull or Starbucks)?
A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Get up, check on the servers and get a drink. Caffeine if you're really sleepy...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The times I get the most tired on the job are the times while I'm sitting at my desk working. If it gets really bad, I'll get up and find something else to do for 5 or 10 minutes on my feet. After that I'm typically good to go, unless I had a major lack of sleep the night before in which case I'll be in pretty bad shape even with all the energy drinks in the world.

I've been trying to eat healthier as well and also I have been trying to incorporate working out into my days as much as possible. I've found my energy levels have gone up significantly and I feel a lot better overall as well.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get some exercise. Even a walk up a flight or two of stairs will help get the blood flowing and pick you up. I smoke crack sometimes too.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Getting up 1-2 hours earlier in the morning to do P90x always gave me energy the rest of the day... at least that was when I had a job and was working out :D
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Keep lunch simple. Make it a bunch of bananas or apples or peaches. Drink lots of water. Get up and move about a bit. It'll keep you more awake and alert than normal.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I smoke crack sometimes too.

lol the best part of waking up
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I smoke crack sometimes too.
    Oh, come on, you don't smoke crack just at work.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anyone discover a change or something they did to be less sleepy (besides chugging a ton of Red Bull or Starbucks)?

DISCLAIMER: This reply is not intended to encourage abuse of drugs, even legitimately prescribed ones...

Provigil

I had really jacked-up sleep patterns that plagued me for years. Sometime in 2007 my doctor gave me an Rx for Provigil. I took it every day, first thing in the morning for a while. It pretty quickly straightened out my sleep patterns, and resulted in total elimination of daytime drowsiness, without any side effects.

After about 6 months I transitioned to taking it only on an as-needed basis. It's often listed as a "performance enhancing" drug. I do definitely notice a difference between taking it and not taking it.

MS
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You could put on some music and get up and dance for alittle bit :D
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    eMeS wrote: »
    DISCLAIMER: This reply is not intended to encourage abuse of drugs, even legitimately prescribed ones...

Consult your doctor and this might be off topic, but my prescription drug of choice is definitely Ambien. There are some nights I just cannot turn my brain off and this wonder drug always does the trick and knocks me out!

I have heard of high school kids taking Ambien with Red Bull to get that dopey drowsy feeling without falling asleep. That is nuts. :) Sleep is good.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Consult your doctor and this might be off topic, but my prescription drug of choice is definitely Ambien. There are some nights I just cannot turn my brain off and this wonder drug always does the trick and knocks me out!

I have heard of high school kids taking Ambien with Red Bull to get that dopey drowsy feeling without falling asleep. That is nuts. :) Sleep is good.

Yeah, different people work different ways. I once tried Ambien and it actually made my situation worse....I was able to sleep at night, but it made me really edgy during the day and then profoundly drowsy in the afternoon...

MS
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Anyone else feel like falling asleep at work? I just want to take a nap right now or something... I guess a big lunch combined with a late bedtime makes for a tiring afternoon. sleeping.gif

sleepy? Most of the time yeah, I got a teary eye everyday because I cant' get a deep sleep at night. Maybe due to excessive smoking and tea intake. I've tried to lessen my tea consumption and I can get a deep sleep for about 2 to 3 hours. Some says taking a hot shower relaxes your muscles and helps you get a good sleep. I've tried a few shots of beer before going to bed but It wont really help It just makes me feel drowsy.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You could put on some music and get up and dance for alittle bit :D

I vote on this. Problem being I always feel a better dancer (like travolta or something) with a few tins down me.....bit difficult at work icon_scratch.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pash wrote: »
    I vote on this. Problem being I always feel a better dancer (like travolta or something) with a few tins down me.....bit difficult at work icon_scratch.gif

Yes but it'd be worthy of a youtube vid. Go Pash! :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Get 8-10 hours sleep every night. There is no silver bullet.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    4 shots of espresso with lots of sugar wake me up, my eyes will be open but my brain will run slower.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik
    hahhahaha I smoke crack haahah man you sound so serious ahhahicon_lol.gif

What helps me:
    1. garlic tabs for blood flow/tea not a lot!
    2. exercise in the morning jogging 2 miles and wt training
    3. 8 hours sleep

this helps if you have stress big time and eat some food before bed like milk or peanut butter not a lot of food just enought to kill any hunger pains...

beer can do it but man does it make me slobber on my pillow so no way!
    icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    dynamik
    hahhahaha I smoke crack haahah man you sound so serious ahhahicon_lol.gif

What helps me:
    1. garlic tabs for blood flow/tea not a lot!
    2. exercise in the morning jogging 2 miles and wt training
    3. 8 hours sleep

this helps if you have stress big time and eat some food before bed like milk or peanut butter not a lot of food just enought to kill any hunger pains...

beer can do it but man does it make me slobber on my pillow so no way!
    icon_thumright.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll get back into working out regularly, that seemed to help some, and I'll try to drink some green tea. Plus sleep in on weekends. :D
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Get 8-10 hours sleep every night. There is no silver bullet.
    Wow, I WISH I could get that much sleep every night. I've always been a high strung and a bad sleeper and I just have a tough time getting a good night's rest or getting to sleep at a normal hour. I think it's partially anxiety, partially obsessive compulsive tendencies. I usually have 1-2 nights each week where I get 7-8 hours of sleep, but most other times I get 5-6. There's just not enough time in the day to do everything, and sleep is usually what loses out for me.

Honestly, getting more sleep more consistently is the best cure for the sleepies. My work schedule is a bit willy nilly (some days I start at 7am, others I work until 9:30pm) so I can't get on a consistent sleep schedule, but I know I would be less groggy if I could get to bed & get up at the same time every day.

Other than cramming in more sleep time, drinking water & keeping yourself busy help the day to move along faster and keep your mind off how sleep you are...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Also don't forget the importance of a high quality bed. So many people loose out on REM cycles due to the quality of their mattress. Since getting a tempur-pedic, my wife and I have slept better than we ever had before. We have so much more energy, and feel refreshed in the mornings.

So if your mattress is getting up in age (a spring mattress is typically good for 5-7 years), I would suggest getting a new one.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration