Options

Wireless Networking

alex_k_harrisonalex_k_harrison Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
A friend has a wireless network at work, consisting of 5 computers. i was asked to go in and troubleshoot the network because no one could access each others resources.

Now I understand how to create network connections on a wired network and i know how to troubleshoot problems if and when they arise, etc... however, i have had no previous experience with wireless networks.
Also their current network admin is on holiday and has told no one how the network is set up.

I tried to troubleshoot the problem but had no luck, baring in mind that i have no idea how the network is set up, what i should and shouldn't change, delete, configure, etc, and i have no idea about the hardware they are using (Linksys i think).

So this got me thinking, with an MCSA should i know how to solve this problem or should i just give up on the career now because i couldn't quite help thinking that i should have been able to solve this problem (by the way don't know if this is worth mentioning but this was my first real experience of troubleshooting a network as i have just finished studying).

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    So this got me thinking, with an MCSA should i know how to solve this problem or should i just give up on the career now because i couldn't quite help thinking that i should have been able to solve this problem (by the way don't know if this is worth mentioning but this was my first real experience of troubleshooting a network as i have just finished studying).

NO. You have an MCSA which is for Microsoft not wireless networks. CWNP is certified in wireless. Certs really have nothing to do with it man, its the fact you have never used a Linksys 802.11b/g router. Just play with the router 7 read up on them, they are really easy. PS- Don't give up so EASY.. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    alex_k_harrisonalex_k_harrison Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for your reply, that has put my mind at rest, thought i should have known how to fix it but i suppose you only get experience through trial and error. I think i might read up on the linksys hardware because from what i can gather they are quite popular so it might be worthwhile learning about them.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what OS is running in the place? is it a mixed network
    is there an actual domain setup or is this just p2p?
    what are the tcp/ip settings? ex. is netbios disabled over tcp/ip on the work stations.
    can you ping the other stations ip addy?
    are there individual firewalls on each client?

just some TS questions to narrow it down
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons