Options

Dell Poweredge 1800

BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
I am currently trying to add another network interface card into this server, this are the expansion slot that I found off a manual, can you guys tell me which slot supports NIC card? and what to buy? I am kinda new to servers.

Thanks!

Documentation

Expansion Cards
The system includes six expansion slots, configured as follows:
  • Slot 1 is PCI 64-bit, 66-MHz (3.3 V).
  • Slot 2 is PCI Express x4 lane (3.3 V).
  • Slot 3 is PCI Express x8 lane (3.3 V).
  • Slot 4 is PCI 32-bit, 33-MHz (5 V).
  • Slots 5 and 6 are PCI-X 64-bit, 100-MHz (3.3 V).

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can get NIC cards that are compatible with most, if not all of those. You might want to brainstorm what future cards you may need, so you don't use up a slot you might need for something else. How many ports are you looking at? You'd probably need to use a faster slot for quad-port adapter while you could probably get by with a slower slot for a single-port adapter.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can get NIC cards that are compatible with most, if not all of those. You might want to brainstorm what future cards you may need, so you don't use up a slot you might need for something else. How many ports are you looking at? You'd probably need to use a faster slot for quad-port adapter while you could probably get by with a slower slot for a single-port adapter.

Thanks for the response, I have no other expansion plan for this server, since it will only be used as a web server/vpn, do you have a link of that card that is compatible for those slot?
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Thanks for the response, I have no other expansion plan for this server, since it will only be used as a web server/vpn, do you have a link of that card that is compatible for those slot?

What is the expected web server / vpn load ? Will you serve static pages or bunch of pictures and videos ?
    Depending on one or the other you might get something as simple as PCI 32 bit 100Mb card or something advanced as PCI Express 4x or 8x with 2Gb support.
    On the side note, I would personally leave PCI Express 8X alone, it might come handy in future, for some SCSI card.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

Lol you can VPN in so we can play starcraft :P

b/w I found the parts that I needed by speaking to a Dell customer support.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently trying to add another network interface card into this server, this are the expansion slot that I found off a manual, can you guys tell me which slot supports NIC card? and what to buy? I am kinda new to servers.

Thanks!

Documentation

Expansion Cards
    The system includes six expansion slots, configured as follows:
    • Slot 1 is PCI 64-bit, 66-MHz (3.3 V).
    • Slot 2 is PCI Express x4 lane (3.3 V).
    • Slot 3 is PCI Express x8 lane (3.3 V).
    • Slot 4 is PCI 32-bit, 33-MHz (5 V).
    • Slots 5 and 6 are PCI-X 64-bit, 100-MHz (3.3 V).

Luckily you have a variety of interface types and voltages, so you're not necessarily limited to a certain type. That being said, heed dynamik's words and plan out your cards carefully, as there are a limited number of kind of slots.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security