Options

Can't access workgroup

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
We have several XP SP3 machines that are trying to connect to the main XP machine that has the printer hooked up to it. None of the machines are access the workgroup, says it is a rights issue.

I logged into the main machine as the admin, and even when on that account, still cannot view the workgroup, says no permission to view source. Only one who can print is the user with the printer directly connected. I can't see why the admin has no rights, thats a new one on me. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    pmmcateerpmmcateer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the other computers cannot access the workgroup sounds like your problem is bigger than not being able to print. Can you ping the main computer from the other machines?

I'm not too familiar with workgroups but you should be able to connect the other machines to the same workgroup as the main computer, and share the printer and be good.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's been a long time since I worked with workgroups but like the above poster said, verify you can ping and if you can verify accounts are working properly. You need to have accounts on the XP machine hosting the printer for each user.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Be more specific with the steps you have taken and the actual error messages you received. You said you logged in as admin but I cannot be sure what you mean... Did you login as Administrator or as an account that is a member of the local administrators group... maybe the account is named admin, I don't know. I assume you opened My Network Places and attempted to expand the workgroup node and received the error? If that's the case what was the exact error and have you checked the event log?

Let us know! Lots of smart people on this site.