Options

Find a job

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Does anyone else feel like finding a job is becoming harder not easier? I feel like I've been looking forever, and not a single bite....current job is killing me. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    It's not just a feeling, it's a fact. The economy/job market sucks right now.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The main problem I am running into around by me is locating an employer that isn't picking up staff through a staffing agency for contract work or in many cases contract to hire (to trial the employee with minimal risk). I would typically be alright with contract to hire, but given the current economy and overall larger pool of applicants and difficulty to obtain a job - I would be apprehensive to accept a contract to hire job at this point.

The feeling I am getting in my market is the market is becoming more difficult. For a while there things were looking (sounding really) positive but things seemed to have tapered off again. I've been keeping my eyes open for opportunities for about 9 months or so now and around the beginning of 2009 I noted that around 2/3's of job's listed in my market were contract or contract to hire. Now I would say it's almost 3/4 contract or contract to hire and a good bulk of the non contract jobs are typically programming related by me. As such, I've been getting minimal hits for interviews mostly because there just hasn't been enough alluring opportunities for me to consider leaving where I am at (regardless of how much I dislike it).

Keep at it though, persistence pays off all the time. If you put your name out there enough you are bound to get a solid hit eventually. How is your resume looking, have you revised it recently or had it looked over to see if it can benefit from some slight revisions? Are you doing research before applying to determine who to write cover letters to when you apply and are you following up to attempt to setup an interview?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Take a look through Ask The Headhunter® and read up on the articles posted there. Lots of great advice. Really no need to get the book as all the ideas and concepts are up on the site. The book does help bridge a few gaps though. I checked it out from my local library.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I update my resume regularly as I am going through my certs fairly quickly as well. I try to keep 2 or 3 versions for different job types. It isn't my resume that is killing me (I'm pretty sure) its the experience factor (and being young if you want to throw that out their too). In my area I find that 95% of all jobs listed/posted require tons of experience or are a "senior" position. I know the rules that this isn't set and stone thing so I apply to a ton of them anyway. The other big problem is I'm looking mostly in the NYC area which has HUGE competition right now....
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    It's not just a feeling, it's a fact. The economy/job market sucks right now.

Exactly!!!

NightShade, what exactly are you looking for? Consulting/Contract? NetAdmin or Eng? IT? I know that being young is a huge setback if all the positions you are looking for are senior level opportunites. Are any local universities hiring some IT people or up and coming companies?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    I'm looking for anything full time that gets me out of my current job lol I'm honestly not picky because I want to be a pen tester (later on) and work in the security field however I require more experience first. I've been looking at jobs for system admins, network engingeers, windows/linux/unix, security analyst.

I have tried at 2 universities in the area still waiting to hear back on them. Most of the companies here that are up and coming have died out on the island or aren't hiring, which is why i've been looking into nyc.
  • Options
    I'm looking for anything full time that gets me out of my current job lol I'm honestly not picky because I want to be a pen tester (later on) and work in the security field however I require more experience first. I've been looking at jobs for system admins, network engingeers, windows/linux/unix, security analyst.

I have tried at 2 universities in the area still waiting to hear back on them. Most of the companies here that are up and coming have died out on the island or aren't hiring, which is why i've been looking into nyc.

How long have you been waiting on those 2 schools to get back to you, can't wait to long w/o calling back. What about any govt. job up in that area or with the city? I know those jobs will be stable. Alos, keep networking....you get hired for most jobs nowadays through someone you know....its always its that "What you know" but "WHO you know" in this day and age.

• Options
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    its always its that "What you know" but "WHO you know" in this day and age.

Yeah that annoys me because people I graduated with got betters jobs because they are better kiss a$$es as opposed to hard workers.....

Just applied yesterday to the two schools so I'll give it a day or two before calling. Government jobs are def stable but again hard to come by. Have applied to a few before and always make it to the final round but there is always someone else above me. I'll keep looking though, worse thing to do is give up icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Yeah that annoys me because people I graduated with got betters jobs because they are better kiss a$$es as opposed to hard workers.....

Just applied yesterday to the two schools so I'll give it a day or two before calling. Government jobs are def stable but again hard to come by. Have applied to a few before and always make it to the final round but there is always someone else above me. I'll keep looking though, worse thing to do is give up icon_wink.gif

Yea, thats life man....icon_sad.gif You may be more well qualified and a hard worker, but on the other hand the competition may have hobbies they have participated in with the person who is hiring them. This makes the employer feel comfortable and at ease when bringing them on board. Consequently, the better person is screwed from getting the job. Don't give up though man, you will have your breakthrough.

"Endurance is patience concentrated".

• Options
    Xcluziv wrote: »

"Endurance is patience concentrated".

Amen to that.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I've been looking for the past 6 months since I got laid off. I have only an A+ and a year of IT experience under my belt. I'd like to continue studying for my degree but not having money kinda puts a hamper on things. Looks like I'll be looking for any kind of job now and just trying to get into another field of study and work.