Options

Update: Interview

t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
I called the interviewer today. I asked him about the thank you letter if he got it and also the letter of recommendation. Then he told me that he will be calling people for second interview tomorrow. The top three people and he told me I am definitely on that list! He said he was just looking for one more person which i think means it will be me against someone else. What do you guys think? I am so excited, but I know it is not over yet. Any advice. Thanks.
Knowledge is Power.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You just need to keep doing what you're doing if things are going well. Stay relaxed and confident and it sounds like you have a good chance of getting the position.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    t3ch_guru wrote: »
    I called the interviewer today. I asked him about the thank you letter if he got it and also the letter of recommendation. Then he told me that he will be calling people for second interview tomorrow. The top three people and he told me I am definitely on that list! He said he was just looking for one more person which i think means it will be me against someone else. What do you guys think? I am so excited, but I know it is not over yet. Any advice. Thanks.

Good luck. Remember, this is mostly an interview to make sure you're not a creep and will mesh well with the rest of the team.
  • Options
    Thank you. I didn't wear a suit or anything last time. But, I was dressed pretty well. Should i keep the same style. I felt like I was following their companies dress code. I really dont like going all out especially since i dont own a suit.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    Now I am even more nervous. The interviewer called me today and told me that I did make top 3. The interview is on Monday and there will be 3 others there interviewing me. Which I believe they will be asking me series of questions to test my knowledge. My first job was the same way and the job im in now i was interviewed by two. I am so nervous and I don't want to mess up. Any advice?
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Stay relaxed and be honest. Not much you can do besides that.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Now I am even more nervous. The interviewer called me today and told me that I did make top 3. The interview is on Monday and there will be 3 others there interviewing me. Which I believe they will be asking me series of questions to test my knowledge. My first job was the same way and the job im in now i was interviewed by two. I am so nervous and I don't want to mess up. Any advice?

Ok, here's my opinion....

You have the weekend to prepare, take it easy on Sunday, get to sleep early. Depending on the position (I'm sure sure the type of position), study up a bit on the things your need to know for the job. There's a good chance you might might get the type of interview where one person might ask you technical question, another person might ask you "In this situation, what would you do?" questions, one person might be a possible pier or even an immediate supervisor (might not want to act at all cocky). I've had them before where 1 person was from Human Resources and it was easier to do that part of the interview along with the technical part. I don't know how many times I've gotten the question: What is the difference between a Switch and a Hub?

The main thing to think about is that you are in the top 3, and that means they liked you.

Congrats on the 2nd Interview BTW.

Good Luck and Keep us Posted.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□

Sit back and expect the questions. Don't stress, and don't worry. If you are applying for a job at your skill level, then you need to remember: you know this stuff. If you know it, why would it bother you?

Also, don't forget to ask them some simple questions about their company and the posiion if you get the opportunity.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First of all all the best and remember body language counts a lot how you interact and communicate is important these days .

Be enthusiatic coz i feel that that is they key .. I managed to land my first job by signifying my enthusiasm for the job ( to learn ) rather than the knowledge i had

so everything counts ............ all the best icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Over the weekend, get three friends to sit in front of you and talk about anything. When you go in for the interview, imagine you're just talking with your friends. Can be done without the friends actually meeting you, but it helps to have the actual time put in.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At the end of the interviews, ask for the job. I used to do recruiting and I can't count the times employers were very hot on an individual, and would have offered the position then and there if they had just asked for the position.

And of course, never talk salary. He who does first, usually looses. My advice if they ask what you are looking to make, etc is to turn the tables on them. Ask them what would someone with your experience, education, certifications etc expect to make at a co like theirs. You don't want to overprice yourself nor underprice yourself. Let them make an offer and if its not reasonable, feel free to counter-offer. Don't let $$ totally guide you. Look at their whole compensation package - do they pay 100% on insurance or is it a split? Do they have education benefits? What is their vacation policy, etc.

Have a good dinner the night before, relax, get to bed early, and them go in and knock them dead!

Oh, a good question to ask the interviewers is "what brought them to this company, what attracted them to it." you'll be surprised at the information they will divuldge.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    At the end of the interviews, ask for the job. I used to do recruiting and I can't count the times employers were very hot on an individual, and would have offered the position then and there if they had just asked for the position.

So what's the preferred way to do this? I would assume it's more subtle than simply blurting out, "Can I have the job!?"

Lotsa good info there; thanks!
  • Options
    sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have stated in the past, "I feel I would be a very good fit for your company". I got two jobs with that statement!!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've had people say that the position sounds wonderful, when would you like me to start? Or that they really would like to come aboard and contribute to the team/co, etc.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Look the manager in the eye while shaking his/her hand and say, "I can do the work profitably for you. I want this job." Make sure you're totally confident when you do this as you will come off a bit wet if you're being shy about it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Wow you guys are great! I love all the responses. Thanks. I guess I will have to wear a suit huh. I didnt for the 1st interview. Man i need to brush up on linux lol. icon_study.gif
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    I was thinking of creating a portfolio for the interview on Monday. It is basically a PC Technician. I am currently a IT Intern with the company I am working with now. This new place is offering double the pay. So, since I am up against two other candidates I would like to wow the 4 people interviewing me at once. I am going to buy a suit this weekend. I was wondering what would be some things to include in my portfolio excluding certifications.

One thing I was thinking of was to create like a list of 10 variety of problems I face at the corporate office I work at now. Obviously not giving out any company information. Just make it generic like a template. This place I am applying for is also a corporate office, so I got that experience.

Is this a good idea and any examples of other things would be great. Thanks.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Portfolios are a great idea. Put in any scripts you have created to simplify things, any documentation you have created, pretty much anything you have done. Since this is a pc tech job I would think that documentation and troubleshooting flow charts would have that extra wow factor. Expanding on your 10 problems list would be coming up with documentation and/or flow chart for your troubleshooting of these problems. This should definitely improve your chances to impress.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/