Options

70-642 and the Network+ or CCNA

sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Since I passed my 83-640, I've been thinking about what to do next. Eventually I'd like to get my MCITP:EA, and I don't know much at all about networking.

The only work I've done with networks was running some cable and plugging up some routers and stuff. Nothing to do with routing tables or anything.

So do you recommend I start with the Network+ or CCNA, or just go straight for the 70-642?

I appreciate any imput. I'm not looking for a career in networking, just systems admin for right now.

Thanks.
A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

Since I passed my 83-640, I've been thinking about what to do next. Eventually I'd like to get my MCITP:EA, and I don't know much at all about networking.

The only work I've done with networks was running some cable and plugging up some routers and stuff. Nothing to do with routing tables or anything.

So do you recommend I start with the Network+ or CCNA, or just go straight for the 70-642?

I appreciate any imput. I'm not looking for a career in networking, just systems admin for right now.

Thanks.

Unless you work in a very large company a system admin absolutely needs to know how to troubleshoot his own network. So in essence you can't be one without knowing the basics of the other. How you go about getting that knowledge is really up to you. Network+ would be where I would go next followed by the rest of the EA if I were in your shoes.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network+ is seconded here. Considering your experience level the foundation set by Net+, even if you decide not to take the cert but just study the material, will be solid and assist you in the MCITP and the CCNA.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    No network+ here but passed 642 with not to many issues. I used a mates Cisco information on how to Subnet. Knowing that information and also what super netting, CIDR's etc was enough to get through. I have however worked in IT for quite some time and have worked with IP for a lot of it, but it's always good to brush up. I believe Trainsignal have a basic video on Networking fundamentals which might interest you as if should also give you a basis for IP.

Some tips for IP:

Know what the OSI model is...

Know the difference between UPD and TCP transmissions.

Know what PING, Traceroute, NSLookup, pathping will assist you.

Know how to Subnet.

Know how to supernet. Seems to be a interesting feature they like to bring out.

Know what NAT is and know why it has assisted IPV4

Know the different types of IPV6 address assignments and how they can be given

Know your basic port's for services such as FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, SNMP, RDP and know if they are UDP or TCP.

Know what a firewall is and why they are important. 642 MS Press have a good read on this.

I think a CCNA would be over the top for 642 however I will eventually get around myself to getting through that but am concentrating on getting my SA out of the way which is only one more exam, and then I will get to my EA.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    ron 1701ron 1701 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi. I'm new to this forum but based on what you state about your network knowlege and the 70-642 syllabus, you most certainly need some form of foundation in networking such as the N+. An excellent knowledge of IP is essential for the 642 as the whole of Server 2008 and Active Directory hangs off off TCP/IP. Ensure you are comfortable with: -
    What each part of the TCP/IP protocol does in terms of layers.
    What the main protocols in TCP/IP do such as TCP, UDP and also ARP.
    Know what sockets or ports are and how applications work with them.
    Understand IP V4 addressing very well
    Know how routing works and the main types of routing protocols.

70-642 also has a heavy bias on the new IP V6 so it is worth having a look at that.

So to recap, make sure you learn TCP/IP well and the rest should fall into place.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ron 1701 wrote: »

70-642 also has a heavy bias on the new IP V6 so it is worth having a look at that.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it a heavy bias.. I had one question on my exam about ipv6, where I had to decide if it was fe or fd
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network+ is seconded here. Considering your experience level the foundation set by Net+, even if you decide not to take the cert but just study the material, will be solid and assist you in the MCITP and the CCNA.

I agree 100%. give yourself a solid foundation and then build on it.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be doing the Network+ next... shouldn't be too hard, but I will learn a lot.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Piers wrote: »
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it a heavy bias.. I had one question on my exam about ipv6, where I had to decide if it was fe or fd

Second that... I remember getting one, maybe 2 in mine however no more than that.

There is more focused on IPV4 as that is current real world.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    blackngold4877blackngold4877 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Second that... I remember getting one, maybe 2 in mine however no more than that.

There is more focused on IPV4 as that is current real world.

Third, I had I think 1 IPv6 question on my test, and I've never had to use it at all in a real network. I know one person who was implementing it but they put it on hold.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be doing the Network+ next... shouldn't be too hard, but I will learn a lot.

I don't know if the $200 exam fee for the N+ would be worth sitting the exam, but the knowledge has value even without the cert. The CCNA is more valuable from a career perspective as it will open up doors to interviews that require MCSE + CCNA. N+ will give you the foundation for the CCNA and 291 and more. Even CCIEs have to make cables from time to time...

You will definitely see some battles between server and network admins over who is responsible for some problem, and it's very helpful to be able to talk to both teams in their native technologies. More than once I have run into some smug, know-it-all network admin whose attitude changes real fast when I can explain the problem to him at a technical level equal to or greater than his knowledge level. Just showing you have that understanding helps ease the friction between teams.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As for IPv6? I swear I think I had 4 or 5 related (though it might have been split between 642, 646, 647). Either way. IPv6 is essential.

On N+, I may be the odd person out here... but I really don't see value in getting the cert for N+. Knowledge? Sure. BUt the cert itself... I really don't. CCNA? Sure. The 70-642 test? Sure. But N+ is just a cert that always just sounded weird to me (and some HR people I have known).

The difference is, that N+ is less likely to get you an interview than the other two. Cisco, Juniper, HP, ExtremeNetworks... all are certs I consider a better bet in my own oppinion. Granted, I never took any cert test till recently... but I listend about what certs people wanted, and what was damaging me. And I have a lot of exp to back it upicon_sad.gif

So cert here I come....
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ron 1701 wrote: »
    -642 also has a heavy bias on the new IP V6 so it is worth having a look at that.

Just to add my experience... I had more IPv6 questions on my Windows 7 exam than I did on my Enterprise Admin exams all combined.