Options

What type of places hire IT admins?

MikozeeMikozee Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Be it 5, 10, 20 or hell, even 40 years, my goal in life is to work at NASA or the Pentagon. Of course, I don't even know whether NASA has an IT job position, which is why I'm here.

What type of non-labor office job places hire IT places? I can imagine big downtown skyscrapers with one too many cubicles having an IT position available, but what other, more "unknown", for a lack of better words, places also have IT positions?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd be willing to wager that NASA has a decent IT department ;)

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Any type of business may have an IT department, depending on their needs. IT is obviously more ingrained in some businesses than others, but the extent often depends on the specific business. For example, I know machine shops that have one computer in the entire shop that they use for billing, and I know others that are completely dependent on computers for nearly every aspect of their work (CAD/CAM stuff).
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They hire through a specific company. I am can't remember which one though.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I work for a small manufacturing firm. I am the only IT support. We have two locations, about 70 computers and 5 servers. The servers run SQL, MS Exchange, Citrix and some other services. Not a huge department but they need someone on site enough that it's cheaper to have it done locally.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I am not sure the type of answer you are looking for. I think that pretty much any company with over twenty employees would hire at least one dedicated IT person. If you reallly want to work at either the pentagon or for NASA for IT, I strongly recommend looking at the military (even the Reserve or National Guard). The reason I say this is that many positions give people with military service preference and it is also a good way to get a security clearance as long as you have a relatively minor criminal past (a misdomeanor may be okay, felons need not apply). As long as you have the time to spend the 3 to 4 year commitment will not hurt you.

I do know plenty of people who have managed to have the type of career you say you want without the joining the military, but it is the more common path.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Almost every government agency has some need for IT.

I recently completed some work for the USDA Forest Service, and I regularly work with the SSA and some of its subcontractors, which have huge IT needs.

You might begin your search here:

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

MS