Options

Share your speed-reading skills

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Do you employ speed-reading skills when studying for certification? Please share them.

I don't want to be a marathon reader, but I don't want to read like a turtle either :)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll skim information I'm familiar with it, but I typically go at a slower pace.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'll skim information I'm familiar with, but I typically go at a slower pace.

Same here. I don't really see the point of speed reading when you are trying to absorb the information properly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Same here. I don't really see the point of speed reading when you are trying to absorb the information properly.
    same here as well...when it comes to materials that I'm already familiar with, then I'm zipping through & skipping words/sentences/entire sections. But if it's new stuff, then I'm slow as all get out. I take my sweet time and will go over it multiple times if need be. I'm kinda hard headed (although it sounds better when I say "I am a theorist and am bad a memorization"icon_lol.gif) and it sometimes takes a few turns on some subjects for me to get it to really stick.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turtle here... that's why I've only got three certs. icon_mrgreen.gif
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't really speed-read, I've seen ad's and heard about techniques to improve speed-reading but I never really looked at anything. I'll sometimes skim content I'm familiar with and any areas that are new material for me I read thoroughly and slowly. It's just my reading style though, I get easily distracted and sometimes will read a line or two and my mind drifts into thought about something I read or something totally random and I catch myself and have to go back and read those couple lines again.