Options

ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Release, Control, and Validation

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
This morning I completed the ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Release, Control, and Validation. This exam focuses on some of the "hands-on" aspects described primarily in the Service Transition lifecycle phase in ITIL.

As many of you know, I have a fairly good grasp of ITIL, have applied it in many organizations, and have delivered quite a bit of ITIL v2 and v3 training. Because of this, I didn't put a lot of extra time into studying for this exam. My "study" consisted of nothing more than skimming the relevant ITIL source material.

Unfortunately none of that really prepared me as well as I would have liked for this exam. IT was a 1.5 hour "Ow My Balls" with yours truly as the star.

The new ITIL intermediate exams are all case-study based, with several case studies that are presented. The exams have 8 questions total, and each question refers to a unique case study.

The case studies are very complex, additionally there is an added level of complexity in the answer choices. One really has to know how to apply this material to be able to successful at one of these exams. I'm somewhat impressed with the job that they've done at making this close to realistic while making it a very difficult and challenging exam. An additionally level of complexity comes in because these exams are written in Queen's English, and that just ain't how we speak in Texas.

I'm not sure what the pass rate is for this one, but I'm assuming that it's around 50-60%. As mentioned the exam has 8 questions. Each question is worth a maximum of 5 points. There are 4 answer choices per question. The best answer is worth 5 points, and the worst is worth 0. If I remember correctly the 2nd best is 3 points and the 3rd best answer is worth 1 point. A passing score is 28 of 40 points, or 70%.

I took almost the entire 1.5 hours. I had 3 minutes remaining when I hit submit. At that point I really wasn't sure how I did, it was that tough. To my surpise, when the exam was graded I passed with a score of 90%.

I have 8 more of these to take over the next couple of months. The good news is that since I am an accredited trainer with Exin I get two of them at 1/2 price. Overall, I'm putting $2600.00 over the next couple of months just into test fees for these things. Thankfully I don't have to attend the actual courses.

Tomorrow I take the 2nd of 9 of these exams, ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Operational Support and Analysis.

MS

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sounds awesome; I bet you're pumped you get to do eight more ;)

Congrats!
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats!

When will you be taking the Design exam? I think after I get the Foundation exam out of the way I'm going to hit up the Design material.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    That sounds awesome; I bet you're pumped you get to do eight more ;)

Congrats!

Yes, I get all tingly in the crotch area when I think of it.

MS
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Congrats!

When will you be taking the Design exam? I think after I get the Foundation exam out of the way I'm going to hit up the Design material.

Not sure, perhaps next week. Most likely sometime this month.

That one's going to be a beating...that's the thickest book of the 5.

MS
  • Options
    pearlgdeakpearlgdeak Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I have passed Service Transitions exam recently and plan to go on RCV and Service Operations. Can anyone provide me mock exams and some materials. Thank you. Pearl

eMeS wrote: »
    This morning I completed the ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Release, Control, and Validation. This exam focuses on some of the "hands-on" aspects described primarily in the Service Transition lifecycle phase in ITIL.

As many of you know, I have a fairly good grasp of ITIL, have applied it in many organizations, and have delivered quite a bit of ITIL v2 and v3 training. Because of this, I didn't put a lot of extra time into studying for this exam. My "study" consisted of nothing more than skimming the relevant ITIL source material.

Unfortunately none of that really prepared me as well as I would have liked for this exam. IT was a 1.5 hour "Ow My Balls" with yours truly as the star.

The new ITIL intermediate exams are all case-study based, with several case studies that are presented. The exams have 8 questions total, and each question refers to a unique case study.

The case studies are very complex, additionally there is an added level of complexity in the answer choices. One really has to know how to apply this material to be able to successful at one of these exams. I'm somewhat impressed with the job that they've done at making this close to realistic while making it a very difficult and challenging exam. An additionally level of complexity comes in because these exams are written in Queen's English, and that just ain't how we speak in Texas.

I'm not sure what the pass rate is for this one, but I'm assuming that it's around 50-60%. As mentioned the exam has 8 questions. Each question is worth a maximum of 5 points. There are 4 answer choices per question. The best answer is worth 5 points, and the worst is worth 0. If I remember correctly the 2nd best is 3 points and the 3rd best answer is worth 1 point. A passing score is 28 of 40 points, or 70%.

I took almost the entire 1.5 hours. I had 3 minutes remaining when I hit submit. At that point I really wasn't sure how I did, it was that tough. To my surpise, when the exam was graded I passed with a score of 90%.

I have 8 more of these to take over the next couple of months. The good news is that since I am an accredited trainer with Exin I get two of them at 1/2 price. Overall, I'm putting $2600.00 over the next couple of months just into test fees for these things. Thankfully I don't have to attend the actual courses.

Tomorrow I take the 2nd of 9 of these exams, ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Operational Support and Analysis.

MS