This is kind of a repost

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    No. 2900XL switches for one. Overpriced 2500 and 2600 routers for another. This thread should be in the CCNA forum.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    knwminus wrote: »

Don't do it.....

Not a good deal.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    No. 2900XL switches for one. Overpriced 2500 and 2600 routers for another. This thread should be in the CCNA forum.

I had it in the CCNA:S forums but then I realized I should put it in the CCNP forums because I am trying to build a CCNP lab. Mike gave me a good starter point but I am not sure what to do from there. Here is what I was thinking before I saw the kit:

I am thinking this:

Note My lab goals are as follows:
    1: To further execute CCNA level knowledge as to help with the education processes

2: To help me with studies for the CCNP (3 exam or 4 exam route) with little to no upgrading of the equipment

3: To be under $750- 800 (just to get off the ground) and 1000 (with possible upgrades as requires.

Secondary goals:

1: To help with CCNA:SEC
    2: To Help with CCDA

Ultimate goals for this year and next:
    Within 1 year I would like to have CCNA, CCNP, and CCNA:SEC certifications if possible with CCNA and CCNP being my primary focus.

Possible Lab specs:

1 3550 Layer 3 Switch:
    http://tiny.cc/N22Xz

2-3 2610 Routers:
    Cisco 2600 Series 2610 Router CCNA CCNP 90 DAYS Waranty - eBay (item 150334550472 end time Jul-22-09 06:17:14 PDT)

1-2 2950 Switches
    Cisco 2950 Switch WS-C2950-24 24 Ports For CCNA CCNP - eBay (item 150331731779 end time Aug-07-09 23:11:42 PDT)

And maybe a 2501
    Cisco 2501 DC 2500 series router Ethernet Serial WAN - eBay (item 370100555241 end time Jul-17-09 10:08:14 PDT)

Would this be enough? Also I would be interested in using dynaps if needed.

The problem is I guess I am not sure where to shop and what is a bad price. CiscoKits were way expensive and I though anything cheaper than that has to be good...

EDIT: I am currently studying for the CCNA and will take it on the 15th. I have been using software to study routing commands up until this point and I think I need hardware for the next push.
    I had it in the CCNA:S forums but then I realized I should put it in the CCNP forums because I am trying to build a CCNP lab.
    The requirements for a CCNA:S lab and a CCNP lab aren't really the same. You can buy to suit both if you want but it'll cost you.

What you linked to is a CCNA lab at best. It wouldn't be suitable for CCNA:S or CCNP if they're your only equipment.
    Within 1 year I would like to have CCNA, CCNP, and CCNA:SEC certifications if possible with CCNA and CCNP being my primary focus.
    I recommend you just complete your CCNA and then do your CCNA:S then see how things are before attempting CCNP. This includes buying any expensive items for your lab. By the time you need it, the price should have dropped significantly.
    1 3550 Layer 3 Switch: http://tiny.cc/N22Xz
    Looks fine but there is over 1 day left and there are already bids. Expect it to shoot up in price in the last few minutes/hours. You'll want a 3550 with EMI for CCNP but you can software upgrade a SMI 3550 to EMI. It is a licensed feature upgrade which costs money but it is just a software upgrade unlike the smaller 2950 series software versions.
    Looks fine. It won't run 12.4T though so you'll need 2600XMs or a 3640/3660 if you want that. If you get the right version of IOS i.e. old, MPLS will work on a 2600XM.
    Its a DC router so no.
    Well thanks for making me feel like a dunce... icon_redface.gif

But I appreciate you taking the time. I guess I need to take some time and build a real CCNA/CCNA:S lab first. I think I will start with 2 switches and 3 routers (seems to be a common configuration). I am thinking 2 2650XM's , 2 2924's and a 2610. Any objections or things I am missing?

Oh and does a moderator have to move post from one forum to another?
    Well thanks for making me feel like a dunce... icon_redface.gif
    Sorry. Its not your fault. Its the terrible advertising of auctions on eBay. If you believed everything in an auction title/description, you'd be able to use a single broken 1600 router with no face plate for CCIE, JNCIE and beyond.
    But I appreciate you taking the time. I guess I need to take some time and build a real CCNA/CCNA:S lab first. I think I will start with 2 switches and 3 routers (seems to be a common configuration). I am thinking 2 2650XM's , 2 2924's and a 2610. Any objections or things I am missing?
    Not 2900XL aka 2924s. 2950s at a minimum. Read this. 2900XLs have got a different command syntax for some features which are important. You can work around it if you know but you might as well just buy a 2950.

A 2610XM will work just as well as a 2650XM. The only different is performance which won't be an issue in a lab. Obviously if you can get a great deal on a 2650XM then you should get it but don't feel that you need to pay extra for that performance.

What would be handy but not essential is the 26?1XM which has 2 FE ports built in instead of just 1 that the 26?0XM has.

You might want to look into the 3640 or 3660. They don't come with any built in ports however so you'll need to buy an ethernet NM at a minimum. The advantage is that you can run MPLS on them without any problems and you can put a wider variety of ports in. The disadvantages are the previously mentioned lack of built in interfaces and the fact they're physically larger.
    Oh and does a moderator have to move post from one forum to another?
    As you are intending to make it a CCNP lab, the thread is totally okay here. Sorry for complaining :)

As you are intending to make it a CCNP lab, the thread is totally okay here. Sorry for complaining :)

Yes. Like I said , I want to be done with the CCNP (3 test route) within a year (or slightly more). I also want a lab that I can do the CCNA:S as well. I would like to be able to use the same lab for both, without buying new equipment.

So how about this:

2-3 2950 switches
    - I saw a few for about 90 bucks. (the 2960's on the other hand are $$$)

2-3 2620XM with 12.4 IOS (Saw some on EBAY for $125)
    - I know that 2620 only has 2 FE port, but is it locked or can I upgrade it? Would I even need anymore than that?

1 3660 with IOS 12.3
    - I saw one on ebay for 149. With the mods I would need to add, maybe abbout 200 dollars total

Is this better?
    Yes. Like I said , I want to be done with the CCNP (3 test route) within a year (or slightly more). I also want a lab that I can do the CCNA:S as well. I would like to be able to use the same lab for both, without buying new equipment
    It'd be cheaper to just buy anything you're missing later. Up to you at the end of the day since it is your money.
    2-3 2950 switches
    - I saw a few for about 90 bucks. (the 2960's on the other hand are $$$)
    The 2960s are the currently sold models which is why they're significantly more expensive.
    I know that 2620 only has 2 FE port, but is it locked or can I upgrade it? Would I even need anymore than that?
    You need 12.4T if you want zone based firewall support.

A 2620XM only has 1 FE interface. You can add another FE port with a NM-1FE-TX but it isn't a supported configuration and may not work. You can add another regular Ethernet port however with a NM-1E. The combo NMs which add Ethernet and more WIC slots however won't work.
    I think what I am going to do is this for now

2610xm with 12.4 IOS , 2620, 3x 2950s.

I saw this kit for 349 dollars. I think this is a good deal (just by looking at the prices of the things alone). I also looked at some of the features and I think this will work for me (at least for the CCNA:S) maybe I could get another 2610xm but maybe this will work. I can get a 3560 switch when I save some more money. I don't want to ask you to many questions because I know it is almost study time for you :) (I do read you CCIE post and they are very inspiring although sometimes they go over my head icon_redface.gif). At any rate I think at 349 I can pick this up without to much heartache. Add a rack (maybe) and cables I will be looking at around 500 or so (I think). which is ok. I can upgrade later if (when) required.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    How many ways can we tell you that the 2900 (2924) switches are crap?
    Do not waste your time on them.
    Purchase 2950 switches.....

Re-read the posts...
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »

Re-read the posts...

OK. Sorry I mistyped. 2950. 2950. Sir yes sir, icon_thumright.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Looks like you're on a good path, so far. For some ideas on what's beyond the CCNA, take a look at the CCNP FAQ, specifically under the heading, "icon_confused.gif: I want to setup my own home CCNP lab. What should I buy and how do I set it up?" You'll find plenty of suggestions, real-world scenarios, and ideas of cost there.

As for your (current) setup plan, I think it's a good one. The 2600XM-series are the odds-on favorite for CCNP and CCIE hopefuls, they'll do pretty much anything you need them to and run both version 12.4 and 12.4T of the Advanced Enterprise Services variant of the IOS. You can also get away with 1721-series routers, but they won't run 12.4T of the AES IOS. Still, they're generally cheaper, I spent about $200 in total on four 1721 routers with maxed-out RAM and two serial cards each. Basically, the 1721s are "good enough", but the 2600XMs are better. Two routers, maybe three, should be more than enough for the CCNA, and you'll probably not need a whole lot more for the CCNP exams, (barring any special requirements for specialty-modules and all that).

As for your switches, you'll be alright with a couple of 2950s for the CCNA, then you can go for a 3550 or two for the CCNP. The 3560s are currently used for the CCIE R&S lab, (which is what I use as a measuring-stick for what comparable equipment I spend money on for lab-machines), but they tend to be very expensive, as opposed to 3550s which go for around $300 a pop on eBay.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Here is a really good series to read for a CCNP lab.

CCNP Lab Part 1 ? Overview and Budget Survey | NetworkWorld.com Community

It is a little old but still valid, and the prices have dropped considerably since it was written.
    Cyanic wrote: »
    Here is a really good series to read for a CCNP lab.

CCNP Lab Part 1 ? Overview and Budget Survey | NetworkWorld.com Community

It is a little old but still valid, and the prices have dropped considerably since it was written.

Great find. Im reading it now..
    miller811 wrote: »

Re-read the posts...

This article told me why they suck icon_wink.gifCCNP Lab, Part 3 ? Which L2 Switch? | NetworkWorld.com Community
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Honestly if you can I'd use gns3/dynamips with some decent switches for your lab...much cheaper if you have access to IOS through your CCO account.
    shednik wrote: »
    Honestly if you can I'd use gns3/dynamips with some decent switches for your lab...much cheaper if you have access to IOS through your CCO account.

I have no access. I plan on getting 2 2610xms and 3 2950s for my lab to start off. Then I may get a few more and a terminal server. You think that would be enough for the CCNA:S
    2 X 2950 standard

3 X 3640

2 X 2501 Frame relay switch?

or this

2 X 2950 standard

2 X 1710

1 X 3640

1 X 2501

Both of these are made by Wendell Odom and I looked at the prices and it is doable. I think I only want to study for the CCNP and then the CCNA:SEC. The demand for CCNA:SEC around here is very low. I think this should be enough what do you think (anyone) ?
    2 X 2501 Frame relay switch?
    A 2501 would make a terrible FRS since it only has 2 serial ports. Get a 2522/2523 or a NM-8A/S in something that can take a NM.

You still need at least one L3 switch like a 3550 with EMI.

I'd drop the 1710s and get 2610XMs or better.
    I think I only want to study for the CCNP and then the CCNA:SEC.
    You going to go for the CCNP, Security+, MCP and MCSA all within the next year?
    A 2501 would make a terrible FRS since it only has 2 serial ports. Get a 2522/2523 or a NM-8A/S in something that can take a NM.

You still need at least one L3 switch like a 3550 with EMI.

I'd drop the 1710s and get 2610XMs or better.
    2 X 2950 standard (100 a piece)

2 X 2610XM ( 100-125 a piece)

1 X 3640 - (100)

1 X 2552 - (around 180)

Ok this is nice. It is right around what I wanted to spend. Probably about 850 dollars with shipping. With a rack and cables probably another 75 so about 925. This is a little higher but doable. I don't think I would need much else (I saw the price for wireless adaptors and they break my budget).
    Ok this is nice. It is right around what I wanted to spend. Probably about 850 dollars with shipping. With a rack and cables probably another 75 so about 925. This is a little higher but doable. I don't think I would need much else (I saw the price for wireless adaptors and they break my budget).
    You're still missing a L3 switch with L3 routing software.

The 3640 doesn't come with any interfaces built in so you'll need to purchase a NM of some kind like a NM-2FE2W.

No WICs as well in your list.

Check the prices for a cheap non XM 2610 + NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S instead of the 2522. The 2522/2523 are usually overpriced because people look for them to be used as a FRS.
    You going to go for the CCNP, Security+, MCP and MCSA all within the next year?

Almost. I want to do the MCSA before november. (1 month a test). I do not think I will be doing the security+ due to the fact that I will be using that money for routers/switches/etc. I only wanted to do that because of the fact that a local airfoce base contractor said to work in there helpdesk/server admin you need to have S+ or a security clearance. Well they are not look at to give out security clearance and S+ isn't enough (right now icon_sad.gif). I think the money will be better spent on routers and switches.

I live close to several cisco cads so CCNA is common but not so common that everyone has one. But in my market it has proven to be not enough. I did a search on Dice/Monster/Career Builder/Craigslist in my area and I have found most people wanting a CCNA with 3-5 years exp or CCNP with 1-2 years experience. My current help desk/ customer service job will get me no exposure to Cisco at all so I am looking to fast track my career.

The same thing with the MCSA. Some people have it but most people just have MCP's. I think I can do 270/290/291 in a month each since I have some experience and I have a lab to work in. CCNA has been very hard for me because I have no way to really FEEL the material. The simulator can only do so much and it seems like it is not enough. I want my own rack so that I can practice CCNA stuff and Start studying for the CCNP test ( I want to do my first test in Feb). BTW when I said in the next year I should have said before the end of 2010. So my cert goals for the rest of the year are:
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA

2010:

CCNP, CCNA:Sec(maybe), Linux+(Maybe)
    You're still missing a L3 switch with L3 routing software.

The 3640 doesn't come with any interfaces built in so you'll need to purchase a NM of some kind like a NM-2FE2W.

No WICs as well in your list.

Check the prices for a cheap non XM 2610 + NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S instead of the 2522. The 2522/2523 are usually overpriced because people look for them to be used as a FRS.

I noticed that about the 2522. I also saw some 2610s for cheap but I think you told me that it is not supported to use the 2610s in the manner you just mentioned. Not saying I wouldn't do it. Also I read an article by Wendell Odom that said that a L3 switch isn't required. I did notice that the 3640 is basically a shell but I thought that it would be easier to upgrade (and good experience as well).

Also it seems that 2610s are really cheap but the NM-4A/S is not. There was one that actually costs more than the router lol! But I see why it would be needed for FR switches. I think this might be a good addition.
    I noticed that about the 2522. I also saw some 2610s for cheap but I think you told me that it is not supported to use the 2610s in the manner you just mentioned.
    I don't think I've ever said that you can't use a 2610 as a FRS if you buy a NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S. I said that putting a FE NM into a 2600XM isn't officially supported but may work for you though.
    Also I read an article by Wendell Odom that said that a L3 switch isn't required.
    You don't have to get it but you'd be skipping quite a few labs or trying to work around them with your equipment. Since the prices have dropped, it is usually recommended that you pick up a 3550 with EMI.
    I did notice that the 3640 is basically a shell but I thought that it would be easier to upgrade (and good experience as well).
    Yeah. It is basically a big case with just a processor board in it. It just gives you 4 NM slots.
    Also it seems that 2610s are really cheap but the NM-4A/S is not. There was one that actually costs more than the router lol! But I see why it would be needed for FR switches. I think this might be a good addition.
    It is just an alternative to the 2522/2523. If you don't mind your FRS only having 4 serial ports, you can use a 2520 or 2521.

Hmm. If you want a budget 4 port FRS then I guess you could wire two 2501s together using a rollover cable between their aux ports and tunnel. It is a bit messy to have to split it over two routers but once you've configured it, you shouldn't need to mess around with it. Only 4 ports is a bit limiting which is why the larger 8 port ones are nicer. There isn't much point bolting two 2520s together because of the price.
    It is just an alternative to the 2522/2523. If you don't mind your FRS only having 4 serial ports, you can use a 2520 or 2521.

Hmm. If you want a budget 4 port FRS then I guess you could wire two 2501s together using a rollover cable between their aux ports and tunnel. It is a bit messy to have to split it over two routers but once you've configured it, you shouldn't need to mess around with it. Only 4 ports is a bit limiting which is why the larger 8 port ones are nicer. There isn't much point bolting two 2520s together because of the price.

Do you think 8 ports for a frame relay switch would be a worthwhile investment. If so couldn't I just put a NM-8A/S in there?

Might I ask a different question, How do you know so much? I mean this in all seriousness
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Might I ask a different question, How do you know so much? I mean this in all seriousness

Seriously! What gives Tiersten!? :D

Totally didn't know you could do that with the AUX ports...
    Do you think 8 ports for a frame relay switch would be a worthwhile investment. If so couldn't I just put a NM-8A/S in there?
    If you want to do some of the more complicated labs then yes, 8 ports would be useful. A 4 port would probably be enough for CCNA however. Basically, do you think that in the future you'll have more than 4 routers connected to your frame relay cloud?

Yes. You can put a NM-8A/S in there instead of a 2522/2523. As I said previously, it all depends on price. If you use the NM then you get the benefit of having another newish router as well. You could even put the NM-8A/S into another 3640 if you want. The advantage is that its modular.

Compound Frame Relay.
    I've been messing around with Cisco gear for quite a while now through work. I've also got a lab at home.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Totally didn't know you could do that with the AUX ports...
    Yeah. The aux port is a slow async interface. They're on the router so you can hook up a modem for remote access.