Options

CNNMoney.com: How far will my salary go in another city?

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
Here's an interest cost-of-living calculator that shows how far your current salary will go in another city or state in the USA.

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Having lived in a few different major cities, I can say from experience that these cost of living calculators are a good first step but need to be taken with a grain of salt...they usually overestimate cost of living for larger cities since they often assume you will be living downtown or in high cost areas. Good tool though to use as a starting point to see if you're in the right ballpark income-wise.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow! This is pretty awesome and a great reference for anyone ever moving.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Hmmmm... According to this, I could move to Miami and drop my salary by 10k a year. Who's coming with me? ;)

Not sure where Dade county is though. I was looking more into South Beach.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    Hmmmm... According to this, I could move to Miami and drop my salary by 10k a year. Who's coming with me? ;)

I'd have to make 10k more to move to Miami and bump up 100k to move to Manhattan!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'm having fun with this. I'd have to snatch another 4k/yr to move to Hawaii huh? Drop 13k to go to Vegas? ~1k for LA? It's so scary how expensive New York is.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    New York City, San Fransisco, and Hawaii are probably the most expensive places to live; Southern California is not very far behind.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I'd have to make 10k more to move to Miami and bump up 100k to move to Manhattan!

you'd be living on the roof of a ray's pizza under some newspaper for that kind of money there.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I like this one:

Cost of Living Comparison

It has a ton of categories to compare.
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    you'd be living on the roof of a ray's pizza under some newspaper for that kind of money there.

Yeah housing cost is 449% more in Manhattan than Greenville. Guess I can't get a four bedroom house there for less than $900 a month....
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Yeah housing cost is 449% more in Manhattan than Greenville. Guess I can't get a four bedroom house there for less than $900 a month....

Not to be rude but 4 bedroom for less than $900, you must be dreaming. There is no such thing as 1 bedroom for $900, even in Brooklyn. The cheapest 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn runs for $1100 plus, unless you move out to East New York, where fireworks can heard even during the day time.
    Head to craigslist, check out the apartment cost in Manhattan.
  • Options
    JBrown wrote: »
    Not to be rude but 4 bedroom for less than $900, you must be dreaming. There is no such thing as 1 bedroom for $900, even in Brooklyn. The cheapest 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn runs for $1100 plus, unless you move out to East New York, where fireworks can heard even during the day time.

I was kidding about the vast difference in housing cost. Not actually asking if I could get a house for that price. I pay $845 a month for a nice sized four bedroom here.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    New York City, San Fransisco, and Hawaii are probably the most expensive places to live; Southern California is not very far behind.

Imagine how expensive NYC would be if Long Island was its own state. From what I hear, we're practically paying taxes to keep Manhattan afloat. I don't follow the economy too much but it makes sense to me.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I was kidding about the vast difference in housing cost. Not actually asking if I could get a house for that price. I pay $845 a month for a nice sized four bedroom here.

Greenville is so much cheaper than everywhere else I've been. I'm paying $1150 here for a house about your size, and it's a pretty good deal in this area, lol.
  • Options
    JBrown wrote: »

Even that's not bad. Single bedroom apartments out here run for $1500-1700. Anything less than that you're going to be living in someone's basement. Either that or a dirty apartment with cockroaches and drug addicts two doors down for 1200/mo, no exaggeration.