Options

Advice request - need cert ideas

jdlushjdlush Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings to all.
I have a question or 2 but will give the condensed version of my background before asking.

I have been an IT professional for over 12 years, initially on a help desk, then as a Netware admin (obtained my CNE back in 96, A+ not long after). Even though I have no college degree, I went from network manager at a mid-sized shop to IT manager in a small shop after 3 years. Spent 4 years there, then 5 at another place, also small, also as the IT manager. While these were management positions, with budgeting, policies/procedures, audits, etc., they were also very hands on and I did 95% of the work myself. Everything from building PCs & installing software to AD design, server hardware/software config, email, and AS/400 hardware/software. All routers and firewall configs as well.

So here is the dilemma. I left my last job and moved to Pittsburgh with my girlfriend. I have not gotten any certs since the CNE and A+. Now, when looking for jobs I am getting discounted due to the lack of college and the lack of certs is probably not helping. So what do you all recommend? I have taken practice CISSP exams and gotten 70-80% without any studying so I feel I can pass that pretty easily with a study guide or 2. Does anyone else have a CISSP and no college and are they getting hired? Or do you all recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not being that far away from you, western Ohio, I can say that I know losts of IT pros with no college, just certs, who are employed in admin level positions.

While I believe the CISSP is a valuable cert, its requirements are not something you fulfill in just a few weeks. It is also a bit abstract from an employement perspective. If I were HR and had two resumes that were basically the same but one applicant had CISSP and the other applicant had MCSE I would recognize the MCSE and probably give him/her prefernce.

What I would suggest is that you work on CCENT/CCNA and a combo of Microsft certs like MCSA and MCITP Enterprise Messaging. These jsut seem more practical to me unless you are looking for a job as a security consultant or analyst.

In your position and in this environment I would go for the larger appeal.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you qualify, PMP. That is what I would go for in your shoes. CISSP would be great, but PMP might be something to shoot for.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    jdlushjdlush Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I was initially leaning towards cissp because I have a lot of experience in info security as the last 3 jobs I held were at banks and we were audited routinely, primarily dealing with customer information security, so I am pretty familiar with that. Well, that and I figured it would be nice to be on the other side of an audit for a change, lol. I will definitely look into pmp tho, I think that can be done online.