Options

Study Advice Needed

bdmstbdmst Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, I have three different books to use for studying for the 70-210

Sybex
Syngress
&
Microsoft Press

My question is how would you, or how did you study if you had multiple sources.

Is it best to finish one book then move to the next? Or, is it good to read each topic from each book at once? Just curious how everyone else gets threw it :D

Comments

• Options
    KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used the Sybex books, Transenders and this site. I also attended one of the courses, but I found that the Sybex books cover almost everything that I did on the course.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I used Sybex, Transcender, and this site, plus a class. I would say you're fine if you study the offical M$ material, and then back it up with Sybex. The best practice is to use 2000, and do some of the labs in those books.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    Sounds like you have more than enough of material to study. Take some practice tests at times to see where you are at.
  • Options
    Oh I'm sure that I have enough study materials. What I really wanted to know is how everyone studies when they have multiple sources.

Do you finish each book seperately, or do you focus on a specific topic (ie, Remote Installation, Group Policies etc, etc) and reference each book at the same time?
  • Options
    KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've found that the 70-210 exam asks questions relating to Server 2000, so I've also purchased the Sybex 70-215 book. Also understanding how user and groups work in Windows 2000 Pro and Server helps.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    LOL... still looking for an answer to your question...

I would say consult both books concurrently. When I worked on A+ and later 70-270 I would read a chapter, then look online for technotes and other resources to back up what I had just read, perhaps uncovering something different or better clarified. Tackling two books would be much the same way.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    lazyart, thanks :)

Thats exactly what I was asking. I guess I might not have conveyed that too well though. I'm hopin to get 70-210 out of the way quickly and then actually focus on a MS product that I don't have much experience with (Win2K Server)

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I didnt pursue Win2K, although I do have the Sybex book (should probably offer it for sale). I DID however take 70-270 (Win XP) and having a server up an running was helpful. In particular, one method of deploying XP is to use RIS which requires a server to pull off.

Whichever Server you are going after (70-210 is valid for both 2000 and 2003 Server cert paths) you might want to have it up and running while you study the client exam. It will only help you further down the road.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.