Options

Original offer for a position at 80K is not being honored.

BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
The original offer of 80K doesn't look it's being honored, instead I got an offer letter for 67K and a 10K increase after 3 months that is not on writing.

How would one deal with this?

I currently resides in Irvine area where cost of living is extremely high.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Unless the original offer was in writing and you have formally accepted it, there isn't much you can do. Negotiate with them, pass on the job or just accept the new offer.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What I said here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Unless the original offer was in writing and you have formally accepted it, there isn't much you can do. Negotiate with them, pass on the job or just accept the new offer.

I haven't signed their offer letter, the manager called me cause he knew their position changing, and he said that he will talk to the HR on changing this.

I just don't like it that something that was said from the beginning was all of a sudden changed, and the 10K increase is not even on writing, which usually never happens IMO.
  • Options
    To be honest I am very dissappointed with this, flip-flopping at the end, 80K down to 67K is just a huge difference, they should have mentioned that 10K will be offered after 3 months, but instead this info was withheld to what? to lure me? I am not sure whatever the case maybe, this thing should have discussed prior to the whole process I went to.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Something felonious. The fact that there is more than one option surprises me.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would ask for another offer letter to sign that spelled out everything they verbally offered you... salary, increase after 3 months, any other benefits, etc.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    77k after 3 months wouldn't be bad, close the the 80k it least.

If you don't get the 10k raise in 3 months in writing then you can pretty much kiss that goodbye. I would recommend getting it in writing, if you can't I would walk.

But you have to ask yourself, do you want to be working for a company who is going to start off with jacking you around? icon_confused.gif

Getting it in writing or get out.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    My main questions are about how the original offer was made - was it a verbal offer? Was it an offer or a ballpark salary? When (at what point of the interview process) was it made? Who made it?

No offense, but there's a possibility that $80K was the cap for that position and it's adjusted by experience or what they feel you may be worth (I really have no idea what your experience is & what they're looking for so I'm just saying this may be a possibility). And I know cost of living is high in Irvine, but $67K is still a very decent income even for that area, and $77K in 3 months ain't too shabby either.

If you're not feeling the warm fuzzies, then by all means walk. You shouldn't work somewhere when you have to convince yourself to take the job if you're not hurting for money.

In general, I'd say to politely express your concern about the drop in the offer and that while you are not saying you do not trust them, you would feel more comfortable about accepting the offer if the offer letter was amended to include the verbal terms, i.e., the increase after 3 months. If it DOES get put on the offer letter, rest assured, there will likely be terms to the increase - such as a review and meeting certain performance targets, etc - just be sure that those are clearly outlined as well.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would try and clarify, but in the end: you have to trust the company you work for. If you don't things go badly. Do you trust this company now?
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog