Options

So I get a call...

Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
from a private number. I think about it for a sec, then decide to go ahead an answer. It's a guy who says he saw my resume on on Monster and he'd like to talk to me about a position opening up in my area.

He starts by talking a bit about his company and what they do, how long they've been around, and then asks me about Geek Squad. I'm explaining to him a little about what I do and in passing he says "what year did you graduate?"

Now, I know that this is a foul-but it didn't hit me at first because I didn't know where he was coming from. Immediately after telling him, he says "Ok so you're what? 21, 22?" I told him yes and we went back into talking about Geek Squad. I mentioned to him that I haven't had a chance to update my resume yet, but I just received my MCSE a few days ago. He then asks me if I used **** to get it. *At this point I can feel my face and ears getting hotter and hotter* I was caught off guard so bad by this question, all I could do was just answer the question and tell him no. I explained how I got Testout from a friend, bought books with the help of my fiance (she works at Barnes and Noble) , and bought Transcenders to prepare for each of the exams.

We finished up with the phone interview and he said that he'd like to schedule an interview with me, and that he'd contact me on Monday about it.

Question: Isn't it bad ethics to ask someone's age right off the bat, much less to accuse them of dumping when they told you that they just got a hard earned MCSE?

Should I even give this guy the time of day?

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd still do the interview just in case in may be a good opportunity. I did think it was illegal however to ask about age in an interview. Do you know what company he works for? You may want to look it up in the Better Business Bureau or check with your local chamber of commerce.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Though I realize asking these questions is typically something you don't do in a formal interview, they ARE questions that have much meaning to the person who wants to hire you.

I'm 26 years old right now and look back at my 21 year old self and just roll my eyes. Not that I wasn't mature or serious then, I just am much more so now. Personally, I wouldn't expect a 21 or 22 year old to be "serious" about a career if I were in a hiring position.

This is by no means a shot at you, but a 21 year old with an MCSE is...rare, I suppose. Not many people that age have the discipline to devote to proper study, and even fewer have been exposed to the technology and have the real world experience to back that up. He probably knows this and knows that **** are a common way to pass the MS exams.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think you should be too offended by what this guy asked. Sounds like he's just fairly straightforward.

Should you give him the time of day? If you've got time to give and you're interested by what the outcome could be, what could it hurt?
  • Options
    Definitely straightforward, that's for sure. As for the MCSE, I spent the last 4 months dedicating at the very minimum 20 hours a week studying for each exam and it paid off. Can you find an MCSE at 22 who has years of experience? Probably not. But anyone can get an MCSE within a year of dedicated work. (I had A+, Net+, and 70-270 before I really decided that I was going to complete the MCSE track)

I guess I'll just have to see what he has to offer. Even though I wish that I could get deeper into server/network administration-I *thankfully* have a stable job now and I can be selective.

*edit* And wasn't there a guy who got CCIE on these forums and he's 18?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It wouldn't hurt to do the interview..if he calls you on Monday. The **** question was uncalled for. If you did use a ****, which you didn't, would you admit it? Of course not.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Too bad you don't have a record of the phone call, you could use the age thing against the company if they decide not to hire you. I'd go for the interview, what can it hurt? You can always say no!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, the age question was almost certainly illegal by the way he phrased it and based on the follow up question about dumping.

You need to think of some questions that you can ask about this company to be sure it is a fit. Ask about the company culture and their mision statement, why they like working for the company, etc. Form these questions BEFORE the interview and write them down. Ask every single one. Remember this is a two way street. It's not just them deciding if they want you, you get to decide as well.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Asking your age, as mentioned above, is illegal. Either the person didn't know that or they didn't care. Either way, stay away unless you're extremely hard up for the position, because it sounds like they're either ignorant to ethics or don't care about crossing the line. In fact, if they had called me, I would be calling back and speaking to the recruiter's supervisor and that person would be fired. What they did to you was highly unethical and illegal. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some weird comments for you.

1. The age thing is normally used to defend those who are older, not those who are younger. The laws may be there... but I have NEVER heard of any enforcment for the younger side.

2. Um, you just raised a BUNCH of red flags on that. You should NEVER feel you have to explain how you paid for your training. You also actually, shouldn't be acused of being a paper MCSE.

By the way, if you ever get accused of using ****, you can simply respond: "I am not a paper MCSE. I am a fully trained, fully capable Systems Enginner." Do not go into how you got the money to pay for stuff. Just don't do it. It looks bad. It means you REALLY need the job. And personally, I am of the oppinion that ussually actually hurts you when it comes to getting a job.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Ashenwelt wrote: »
    By the way, if you ever get accused of using ****, you can simply respond: "I am not a paper MCSE. I am a fully trained, fully capable Systems Enginner." Do not go into how you got the money to pay for stuff. Just don't do it. It looks bad. It means you REALLY need the job. And personally, I am of the oppinion that ussually actually hurts you when it comes to getting a job.

I agree with this and I wish I would have done this in the first place. I have nothing to hide, nor do I need to explain myself to a perfect stranger.

Everyone else: Thank you for the advice. If he does call on Monday I'll hear him out, but I will have quite a few questions lined up. We'll see what type of guy this is exactly. He owned the business, so it sounds like a small time thing. I don't see how he could make an offer to give me something more than I have now with Best Buy-but we'll see!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ashenwelt wrote: »

1. The age thing is normally used to defend those who are older, not those who are younger. The laws may be there... but I have NEVER heard of any enforcment for the younger side.

Some companies dont like to hire younger people because they tend to be less reliable and/or less knowledgeable.

As for the rest of the topic...the questioner seems, from your POV, to be a little too focused on the negative. That is probably indicative of the work atmosphere. IDK, I'd probably do the interview and make a judgement call based on how you can size him up. Maybe he gets tons of paper mcse's from foreigners and he's just trying to cull the interview list.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Well, if they're forward, be forward right back. Get down to the meat of the matter, i.e. salary, hours, vacation, training etc. If they aren't what you're looking for, then turn them down. If it sounds good, then go for it. Where I'm from, asking your age isn't illegal, so my response to this "faux pas" may be slightly different.