Options

c1812w for wireless portion of BSMSN?

creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all!

I just passed my CCNA friday icon_cheers.gif and now I'm trying to figure out how to tackle the CCNP. At work, we have quite a few c1812's so I'm thinking about pushing for a 1812w (I'm going to argue we can use it as a spare part, and when I'm done with it, we can sell it to a customer who wants a wireless router)

So my questions is: Is this suitable for the wireless portion of BCMSN or will I need an AP?
Itchy... Tasty!
[X] DCICN
[X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
[ ] DCICT

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The BCMSN focuses much more on the lightweight wireless solution not the autonomous AP (which is what an 1812 would work like).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ouch! So if I really want to lab up the wireless, I'm going to have to buy cisco's-costs more than hip replacement surgery-wireless-management-software?

Oh well, I think I'm going to push for the 1812w anyway, I intend to use it as my home router and set up vpns etc to work (for iscw). I figure I will get some "free" experience if I use it for private use every day.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Ouch! So if I really want to lab up the wireless, I'm going to have to buy cisco's-costs more than hip replacement surgery-wireless-management-software?
    The Wireless LAN Controller is an actual server. You're not just buying software.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The wireless on BCMSN and ONT isn't huge on config, it's mostly concepts. The config that does exist can be learned from the books. Spending all that money on the wireless stuff isn't completely necessary, IMO.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Having just taken this exam this past weekend (and the weekend before that), I concur that actual wireless configuration isn't really tested on. It would be helpful if you get some hands on use with the ADU, but it's not enough to justify spending loads of money on.

The concepts though, are tested heavily so don't underestimate it.

If I had to recommend a few resources for this exam, I would say the self-study guide, the train signal video, and the student guide are the best.
  • Options
    joshgibson82joshgibson82 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    The wireless on BCMSN and ONT isn't huge on config, it's mostly concepts. The config that does exist can be learned from the books. Spending all that money on the wireless stuff isn't completely necessary, IMO.

Couldn't agree more. You definitely do not need an AP or a WLC/LWAP to pass any of the CCNP exams. For the CCNP-Wireless, it would be a good investment.
    Josh, CCNP CWNA