Options

New York

AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
Does anyone here live in New York?

I'm thinking about doing a working stint in the US, and wondering what it is like.

I checked out Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals and there looks like quite a few jobs available.

But whats the market actually like there? Is it as bad as they say? are things on the up?

any advice appreciated :)

A

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AlanJames wrote: »

I'm thinking about doing a working stint in the US, and wondering what it is like.

I checked out Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals and there looks like quite a few jobs available.

But whats the market actually like there? Is it as bad as they say? are things on the up?

A

very expensive
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    it's one of the most expensive places in the US to move to...and with the overall economy being what it is, you might meet some opposition as a non-citizen looking for a job. That being said, there are many places that will hire the right person regardless of where they're from.

The job market and the economy in the US in general are starting look up, but companies are still being very cautious about hiring new folks and spending unnecessary dollars. So if you do snag a position, you may have to foot the bill for your relocation, and in most cases you're not allowed to write off that expense if you're moving to a foreign country (but you usually are allowed to write it off when you return to your country of citizenship...check your local tax laws to find out).

How are you planning to do your move? Obtain a job first & then get the permission/permit to come over?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure why everybody assumes "New York" automatically = New York City...there is more to the state than a single city!

Where in NY are you looking for employment?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    BeaverC32 wrote: »
    Not sure why everybody assumes "New York" automatically = New York City...there is more to the state than a single city!

Where in NY are you looking for employment?

New York is expensive wherever you go. NYC just happens to be the peak of it.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    New York is expensive wherever you go. NYC just happens to be the peak of it.

Disagree...I live in Western NY, and cost of living is not what I would consider "expensive". True the taxes are some of the worst in the country, though.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Disagree...I live in Western NY, and cost of living is not what I would consider "expensive". True the taxes are some of the worst in the country, though.
    You're right...and honestly, I just assumed. In most cases, when someone talks of moving to New York for a job, I will assume NYC because it is the largest hub of business for the state, but that doesn't mean that there aren't jobs in Syracuse or Albany or Buffalo, etc.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542

I agree.. Living and working near Buffalo. And if the're are not taxing you, they're adding "fees" onto everything.

Hey BeaverC32 - where are you from?
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I've lived in and around the NYC area all my life. It is an expensive city. Do not move here without first acquiring a job. Everything here costs an arm and a leg - especially rent!
  • Options
    Well i lived in London for 5 years and did ok there, and that’s pretty expensive.

I was looking at New York city or Chicago, but from what I see there are quite a few more jobs in NYC and the pay is somewhat better.

I was looking at going over without a job, I've done it many times before and managed to do ok. But I understand the market is a bit flat, and nyc is probably hit the hardest. But then again, Americans generally love Australians because of our funny accent :P

I checked out rent there, and it looks cheaper than AUS.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Americans generally love Australians because of our funny accent :P

I have never met an Australian I did not like. I think it's a combination of the accent + usually having a good sense of humor + not being a total turd. When I worked for a company that distributed stock market data I worked with a lot of blokes from Austrellia and they were always great people to work with.

This could however be very relative to the fact that most people where I live are total jerks (Bay area CA).
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    if i had to do it all again i wouldn't have taken a job here in nyc. when i got the job here (on nightshift) i had only planned on staying here on nightshift a year or 2, getting my foot in the door in the area (after working in PA my adult life) and finding somethin on the day (internally or elsewhere). now the market is rather flooded, giving employers greater choice.

i remember when i was applying craigslist would have something like 3 or 4 new pages of ads per day for "systems" jobs, now they barely have 1/2 or 1 full page.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd say your crazy if you want to move to NY at the moment. I've been looking all over NY (NYC, Queens, LI, WhitePlains) for almost 8 months and nothing....it is one of the hardest places to get a job right now I think and yes there is alot listed but that doesn't mean they aren't being picky.

I'm on the island and cost of living here is out of control too....and don't get me started on the traffic....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :)

I think I will wait until mid next year, and see what the market is like over there.

thanks again.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    ^This.

WNY has the lowest cost of living in NYS.

However there are no IT jobs here. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

A

It is expensive. I recall Scott Morris years back telling agents that he would not relocate to NY to take up a job there unless the salary was one million US dollars per annum. I don't think he got any takers.

That's not to say it isn't worth it. Probably some good experience to be had there but things are pricey particularly real estate.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    My roommate worked for Morgan Stanley and was laid off. It took him 4 months to find a job. If that is acceptable/affordable time to live in NYC without a job then so be it.