Options

Symantec Endpoint Protection Alternatives

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
Our current contract with Symantec for their crappy SEP software is over in about a month and we really want to consider other programs. A must have for the alternative is that it must have a management console.

Comments

• Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's problem did you have?

I like Symantec Endpoint Protection, it is not to advanced but helped me a lot to protects the networks.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    impelse wrote: »
    What's problem did you have?

I like Symantec Endpoint Protection, it is not to advanced but helped me a lot to protects the networks.

I find it really buggy, some of the features in it tend to crash very often. It has brought down the access to network drives on our domain. I have spoken to many people including consultants and they all believe that SEP is a unfinished product, it has potential but it not all their.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems that with each maintenance revision they are fixing all the stuff that shouldn't have ever (ever) been broken to begin with... latest revision seems to be pretty stable though.

Which MR are you running?

Alternatives? Depends on your environment. Tell us more.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We're currently looking in Webroot's AV.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've had problems with Endpoint in the past dealing with VPN connections. Could never get them to work with Endpoint running. Spent a lot of time on the phone with Symantec, to no avail.

Left the co. soon afterwards, and I know they were scrapping the product all together, and looking at Sunbelt Software's Vipre. I never used their enterprise version, but the home version is great.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    It seems that with each maintenance revision they are fixing all the stuff that shouldn't have ever (ever) been broken to begin with... latest revision seems to be pretty stable though.

Which MR are you running?

Alternatives? Depends on your environment. Tell us more.

Were currently using SEP 11 MR4 MP2 and im running it on a Windows 2003 Domain
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    We use CA. Works great in a terminal server environment too.

Anti-Virus for the Enterprise - CA

Had SEP and this product in my opinion blows SEP away!
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    My company recently switched from SEP to Sophos. The Management Console is excellent and deployment was a breeze.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have deployed TrendMicro at a few places and love it. One thing I really like is that if you get the advanced package (which included spam filtering) they can keep your email queued.

Last September we had the remnants of a hurricane pass through, then really bad ice storms in the winter...

Electricity was out for a long time for a lot of places. Not losing email that was coming in was a pretty big deal.