MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Over on Born to Learn they announced a new ITP certification for Windows 7 - MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7. The requirements include a couple of Windows 7 exams (680 and 685) as well as one of two exams from the Help Desk Institute. The full requirements can be found here.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Woah, they're including stuff offered from another testing "brand"?? Interesting! I've never even heard of HDI before, but I guess MS has given them their stamp of approval in doing a joint certification program with them. Doesn't seem like the feedback has been great so far though.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think this is a really good step for Microsoft, HDI's certs are popular with large enterprises and focus on soft-skills which (I think) is essential for a well rounded Service Desk employee.
    According to this:
    Certification exams are included in the price of all HDI courses. Exams may also be purchased as a stand-alone product. Certification exams are delivered online through the HDI Learning Center, which allows customers to take exams from any computer with internet access.
    ?!?!

And FYI, the HDI exams cost $225 a pop. I've never heard of these folks before, and it strikes me as a little odd that they'd charge that much to take a test online. And apparently the only study materials for it are available through HDI themselves in the form of training. You can either do classroom training at about $1400, or you can do online training at about $600. Yowza! But apparently the cost of the exam is included in those training costs, so at least that'd be the cap of what you'd have to pay. Still, a little rich for my blood.

Anywho, for those who are curious, you can download course description/test outlines for the SCA exam (Support Center Analyst) and the DST exam (Desktop Support Technician). I gave them a quick look-see and it seems like customer service + some ITIL.

• qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    seems like alot for a desktop level exam, id rather got for my MCITP:EA or SA
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    seems like alot for a desktop level exam, id rather got for my MCITP:EA or SA

+1 :) But I guess it would be quite helpful to newcomers to learn the people skills etc..Actually.. looks quite good for entry level stuff, definitely add value to the cert in my books.
  • bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is bullshit. Look at the politically correct crap you need for a HDI Desktop Support Technician cert: Cultural Sensitivity
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing I did pull from all this is the previously un-announced 70-682 exam will allow an MCDST to upgrade to Windows 7, similar to the 621 exam.. And THAT will likely count as credit towards the MCITP:EA cert

Both%20Charts.jpg

icon_cool.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
    bsddaemon0 wrote: »
    This is bullshit. Look at the politically correct crap you need for a HDI Desktop Support Technician cert: Cultural Sensitivity
    what's scary is that there are people out there that need training on how to not be insulting to someone who's not exactly like them, or on how to talk to a real live human being without being a jerk.

• PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's an update on the MS Born To Learn blog:
    Got quite a few reactions from you guys about our MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 announcement yesterday: it seems many of you are concerned and about the requirement to acquire an HDI certification in order to achieve this credential.
    Please note that this is not the only MCITP credential for Windows 7—there’s also an MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7, which does not include customer service skills in among the skills it validates (and therefore does not have an HDI component).
    So for those of you who want a well-rounded technology+soft skills credential, there’s MCITP: EDST7, and for those of you just want the Win7 piece, there’s MCITP: EDA7
    Hope that helps allay your concerns!
    important clarification about Windows 7 certifications | born to learn
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the value really depends on how well MS markets the certification. If it's relatively unknown, it would be difficult to get motivated to put in the extra time and money for the HDI component.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Well its great to see theyve screwed those of us who have the MCITP EST on vista and dont want to do the lame "customer relations" cert.

I'll stick to the Desktop Admin cert (sounds better) and likely will focus on tangible skills and not how to calm someone down because their machine broke.icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Well its great to see theyve screwed those of us who have the MCITP EST on vista and dont want to do the lame "customer relations" cert.

I'll stick to the Desktop Admin cert (sounds better) and likely will focus on tangible skills and not how to calm someone down because their machine broke.icon_rolleyes.gif

They also have a Win7 Desktop Admin cert, so I don't see why you feel you're getting screwed because they decided to broaden the scope of that certification.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    dynamik wrote: »
    They also have a Win7 Desktop Admin cert, so I don't see why you feel you're getting screwed because they decided to broaden the scope of that certification.

I feel that way because the DA is likely to consist of 2 exams and there is no way to upgrade MCITP EST to MCITP DA 7. MCDST could upgrade to MCITP EST so if the new DA is the technical (real) skilled exams like MCITP EST was then why shouldnt there be an upgrade exam?

Anyone with MCITP EST on vista will have to take 70-680 + the DA exam.

I would be 10 times more peeved if i hadnt passed 70-681.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    bsddaemon0 wrote: »

+1 !

I'll pass on the political propaganda. My work already makes me watch videos about crap that like that every year.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Since HDI focuses a lot on ITIL processes, I wonder if they'll start taking ITIL:Foundations as an elective? icon_scratch.gif
  • germanicusgermanicus Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed HDI Desktop Support Technician with a score of 88%. :)

The exam was rather easy, and it took about 8 hours to complete the self-paced course.
    MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring.................................PASSED
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7.................PASSED
    ITIL® V3 Foundations...........................................PASSED

Microsoft Operations Framework Foundation V4
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
    PRINCE2 ?
  • littlehoopslittlehoops Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much did you pay?
    What was it like?

hoops
  • germanicusgermanicus Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How much did you pay?
    What was it like?
    hoops

I payed 595$ for both the online course and certification. My opinion is that the online course (370$) was overkill for such little/basic curriculum. (i hope that they soon publish a book.) But as today, you are kinda "forced" to buy the online course.

The certification itself had 65 questions, 80% is required to pass. Time limit is 75 minutes. Multiple choice with 3 alternatives, where only one is correct. Processes and procedures (ITIL, etc) is weighted 50% of the course/exam.
    MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring.................................PASSED
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7.................PASSED
    ITIL® V3 Foundations...........................................PASSED

Microsoft Operations Framework Foundation V4
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
    PRINCE2 ?
  • neilrtneilrt Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The HDI certification is no longer required for the MCITP: EDST7 certification. Passing the 70-680 and 70-685 exams is all that's required. Details about the recent changes can be found at the link below:
    Update on MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 | born to learn