Options

Active Directory Issue

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ok guys hoping you can help me out with an issue I am having with Server 2003. On the server is each users H drive (folder with all their crap in it). Some folders are for multiple users so we add a user to the folder via the security tab and give them the rights they need. Sometimes, the user can't access any of the files and other times they can access files in folders within the main folder, but not the plain files in the folder. It is really causing problems. I've removed and readded users and still have the issue. I thought (not a 2003 expert) that files permissions on a folder went down to he files. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Do I have to go to each file and add every user to it that needs access to it?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    If you go to the advanced section of the security tab you should see something about "replace permissions on all sub directories" or something like that. This may be what you're looking for.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    If you go to the advanced section of the security tab you should see something about "replace permissions on all sub directories" or something like that. This may be what you're looking for.

Probably. It sounds like the permissions are explicitly defined on the files instead of being inherited from the folder. Compare the permissions on the file and the folder and see if they are different and how inheritance is setup.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely an inheritance issue.

Could be that folders were moved around within the same volume from other areas that had different security or just that the folders were not set up to replicate permissions to child objects. You can force it like rwwest said; I have found often that such scenarios have the owner of the folder set to someone that doesn't exist and I have to take ownership of the tree of folders (and replicate it downward) before pushing permissions downward.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...