Options

Acrobat 8 - *Some* broken hyperlinks when printing to PDF?

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hello All,

I am having a problem wherebey I have a word document (2003) and im trying to print to PDF. We are using the PDF Printer that comes with Acrobat 8.

When I print to PDF all the text comes up but **some** of the hyperlinks do not come through. They simply come up as blue underlined text. I think this is really odd as probably more than half the hyperlinks do work.

I have read through many forums and someone suggested saving the word document as an RTF and then trying again. I did this and had much more success but still have a few hyperlinks that just will not transfer over to the PDF version. Probably around 90% are working.

There is nothing unique about the ones that are not, they are just like the rest of them, it seems totally random per document.

Does anyone have any ideas? It is totally baffling as it is working and creating the links but decides to leave a few selected ones out????

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    albanga wrote: »
    There is nothing unique about the ones that are not, they are just like the rest of them, it seems totally random per document.
    If you were to output the same document to several different PDF files, would the same links be missed in each document, or would the missed links be random? If it's the same missed links in each doc, then there must be a reason those links are skipped, such as a missing "http://". Have you checked if the Web pages associated with links are active? Maybe the PDF writer is attempting to validate each link. If so, there should be an option to turn off URL validation and force all the URLs to be hyperlinked regardless.
  • Options
    albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Thanks for the reply JD!

The only other PDF printer i have tried is something called curePDF (free version) and that does not make the hyperlinks appear at all, i dare say because it is a very basic product. Can you reccommend something you have tried that is either free or has a trial period so i can test for this instance.

In regards to the validity of the links, they all work when the document is in word format. I have double checked this myself thinking the exact same thing, but i can definitely confirm the links are active.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Try pdf995 its free (just google) or Nitro Pdf (not sure if it has a free version). I had a PDF document that could not be edited by Acrobat, but Nitro had no issues. Adobe PDF is not all its cracked up to be.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I have used, and had excellent results, with CutePDF Free. It does require that you have GhostScipt installed.