Options

Setting up a lab for the MCSA

Greetings, I'm not sure what or how would be the best way to setup a MCSA lab.

I am currently running VMWare on a Ubuntu 8.04 pc. I would like to be able to set up a few Windows Server 2003 and some Windows XP clients. I am not sure what would be the best, legal way to get copies of those OSs.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    VMWare offers an appliance for Windows Server 2003:
    Virtual Appliance Marketplace
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can download trials of Server 2003. Check out a Technet Plus subscription. It's $349/year (regularly, you can find special offers), and you get access to all MS software with no limitations or expirations.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can download trials of Server 2003. Check out a Technet Plus subscription. It's $349/year (regularly, you can find special offers), and you get access to all MS software with no limitations or expirations.

Hey Dynamik, how does Technet Plus stack up against MSDN Virtual Labs?

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Hey Dynamik, how does Technet Plus stack up against MSDN Virtual Labs?

thanks

I'm not familiar with those, but I would wager it's quite a bit different. Technet Plus gives you the actual software. I can choose whether I want Office 2007, Server 2003, Exchange Server, etc., download the ISO, and request a key. Then I'm free to go to work with it. It never expires, and there aren't any limitations. The others are pre-built, guided labs.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with those, but I would wager it's quite a bit different. Technet Plus gives you the actual software. I can choose whether I want Office 2007, Server 2003, Exchange Server, etc., download the ISO, and request a key. Then I'm free to go to work with it. It never expires, and there aren't any limitations. The others are pre-built, guided labs.

By "no limitations" you mean on variety of software and apps i would guess. I know that MSDNA allows for non-production use only of any software MS produces. You can not install it on a PC with intent to sell the PC and you can not sell the software. I would guess same rules apply to Technet ?
  • Options
    Yea, sorry. No feature or time limitations. It's for testing/evaluation only.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might also consider becoming a microsoft partner and getting the MS Action Pack subscription for registered partners. It is similar to technet... except you can use many of the applications for internal use legaly. And that includes hosting a public website. Price is very similar or exactly the same, can't rember for sure. You also get access to some free training from MS (and sometimes, partner events).
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog