Options

Query on Exin EX0-105 - Information Security based on ISO/IEC 27002

jay754jay754 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all!
just wondering has anyone here heard of or even passed this exam for the ISFS :

Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 - EXIN Exams

There's also a management level exam for the ISMAS credential. I'm thinking of doing the ISFS to help decide on a career path, i.e whether I want to go the technical route with Security+ and more advanced certs or take this then ITILv3 and then work towards SSCP, CISSP etc in the management direction. I have a varied background that includes project, 10 + yrs in a variety of business and technical support roles and small team management.

Any opinions on whether this is worth having? Anyone know how many people have passed this since it's release, or any way to find out.
Think it would look good on my cv!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    jay754 wrote: »
    Do you see many job postings asking for this cert? That's pretty much how you determine what "looks good" on a resume.
  • Options
    Thanks JD but it's hard to tell. Irish job ads rarely mention certs other than MCSE and CCNA and ads for roles in the infosec field tend to name Sec+ and CISSP/CISM but no others. I think recruiters and HR folks use a lot of general keyword scanning rather than specific credentials search during CV selection.
    I thought this might be a good way to help me decide on direction, tech or mgt, while being no bad thing to have anyway. Yeah it's €140 to sit but at least the book is free!

Anyone else like to chime in ?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Looks like your background is more management than technical..so I guess it's better you go management route (ITIL v3, PMP,...) CISSP needs 5 years of relevant InfoSec experience, so you should keep that in mind.

I never heard of the cert you mentioned above, but there's an increasing demand ISO auditors...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jay754 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    just wondering has anyone here heard of or even passed this exam for the ISFS :

Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 - EXIN Exams

There's also a management level exam for the ISMAS credential. I'm thinking of doing the ISFS to help decide on a career path, i.e whether I want to go the technical route with Security+ and more advanced certs or take this then ITILv3 and then work towards SSCP, CISSP etc in the management direction. I have a varied background that includes project, 10 + yrs in a variety of business and technical support roles and small team management.

Any opinions on whether this is worth having? Anyone know how many people have passed this since it's release, or any way to find out.

Thanks!

I have heard of it. You are very unlikely to find many job postings anywhere that specifically mention this.

See this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/37653-iso-iec-27002-exams-offered-exin.html

This is a "basic concepts" exam that tests people on knowledge of terms and concepts related to 27002. There is also a more advanced "consultant" level exam that tests on knowledge of how to achieve 27002 in a real setting. Sometimes there is also an "auditor" focused exam.

IMO these are worthwhile certs to have if you are working in an environment that currently holds or is seeking ISO/IEC 27002 certification. These might also be useful if you were a consultant looking to add some ISO/IEC 27002 capabilities to your offerings.

I've yet to take any of these for 27002. My understanding is that somewhere less than 200 people worldwide hold either of them at the moment.

If these are anything like the ISO/IEC 20000 exams, then the Foundation one will be relatively easy, while the consultant and auditor-level exams will be extremely painful and difficult.

I might take the exams for 27002 in early 2010, as with Exin I get 50% off of two exams per year....

Let us know if you take them and how it was,

MS
  • Options
    eMes, thanks for your great response, I really appreciate the input.

It looks like both the ISFS and ISMAS may be gathering some momentum as on top of the book thats free to download for ISFS, Exin have another book that's available from August 3rd on their store.

All books | EXIN Bookshop

Will let everyone know how it goes if I do go ahead with it in the near future.
    Thanks again MS!
  • Options
    Strat_Strat_ Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I'm studiyng this cert with the free ebook since two days, it give you some good introduction to the differents risks but just an introduction.

Does some guys here passed it ?
    If yes with which ressources ?

I wonder if it the exam is tricky and if some additionnals ressources are mandatory to pass it.

Thank !