Options

Cisco Designers Challenge: 16 phones + CM + VM on the cheap

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
Guys,

It's been about a month since I logged in. I have been so busy with things. All I managed to do in the past month we work and get my MCTS: Hyper-V Configuration.

Anyway, Let's say you wanted to drop 16 Cisco phones in and you wanted 5 FXO ports to the PSTN, and you wanted voicemail and auto-attendant. A small business with a single site.

What models of phones would you use? Would you recommend using one of Cisco's dedicated media servers or a router? What about one of the forms of unity?

I'm wondering because I have been challenged with a project, and although I have already decided on another solution (using Asterisk + SIP phones). What would you guys have done in this scenario if you were using Cisco? I WANTED to use Cisco originally.

Thanks,
HT

Comments

• Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CallManager Express
    CallUnity Express

Cisco 7960s...
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    CallManager Express
    CallUnity Express

Cisco 7960s...

Ah yes but what router would run Unity Express + have at least 4 FXO?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at the 1861 with an additonal 4 port FXO card. You could also look at the UC500 series but I like having the flexability of a full blown version of CME. Also if you can go to a 2 line phone instead of the 6 line phone look at the 7940's.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    So, Imagine that I had either a UC500 16U or 1861 from somewhere. And then I bought the 7960's from somewhere else.

I suppose that would require me to purchase a license for each phone in addition to the actual hardware. Plus smartnet contracts...yikes.

How does that work?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Be careful with the 16U UC520, btw. It's the last step up for that hardware. The 8/16 unit is the most you can get. To get more, you have to actually purchase the 24 unit to replace the 8/16 unit. If you're at 16 now, get the 24 unless you're sure you won't expand.

To your question, though, the UC520 comes with the licenses installed, so when you plug in a phone, it registers it with the license. All you'd need to purchase in addition to the hardware is the support contract and the phones.
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks a lot darkerosxx. I did the CCNA-V but whenever Jeremy refers to licensing (which is sparingly), I just cringe. Either in print or video format....nothing person, I just don't like licensing!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Guys,

It's been about a month since I logged in. I have been so busy with things. All I managed to do in the past month we work and get my MCTS: Hyper-V Configuration.

Anyway, Let's say you wanted to drop 16 Cisco phones in and you wanted 5 FXO ports to the PSTN, and you wanted voicemail and auto-attendant. A small business with a single site.

What models of phones would you use? Would you recommend using one of Cisco's dedicated media servers or a router? What about one of the forms of unity?

I'm wondering because I have been challenged with a project, and although I have already decided on another solution (using Asterisk + SIP phones). What would you guys have done in this scenario if you were using Cisco? I WANTED to use Cisco originally.

Thanks,
    HT

What type of router do you already have and what type of switches are you using? Are they POE

From there I would take a look at the QOS of the LAN. Even though the LAN has much more bandwith than the WAN you could grow and this could save you pain later.

After these 2 things are done. you have a few options

use existing router and add a CUE module and go from there.

Upgrade existing hardware and start over if your current equipment is out of date.

As for phones

you will need to buy 7941/7961. You can get buy with a few FXO ports or you can buy a fractional PRI from a provider. We design sites like this all the time.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related