Opinions on Transcender practice exams for 70-646?

I've used Transcender in the past for my prior MCSE exams, and always found them challenging, educational, and a little tougher than the real exams. I've always considered them to be a good product for final exam prep.

Today I started the one for 70-646, and it isn't anything like what I remember. The things they are testing on seem to be so over the top in terms of minutae. After 25 questions, I don't even know if I want to continue with them. I don't feel like I'm learning, I feel like I'm playing Trivial Pursuit.

Anyone else use them, have some thoughts?

Thanks
MCTS
MCITP: SA & EA
MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
MCSA: 2000, 2003

Comments

• stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I used them once and only once, for SQL 2000 (wow that's a long time ago). I found them overly complicated and required encyclopaedic knowledge of every aspect of the product, I gave up after 10 questions and never used them again.

I think different people learn in different ways, Trancender are not for me.
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Is there a practice test you like/recommend? I like to take some before the real deal.
    MCTS
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    In recent times (for MS exams) I have been using the Measure Up CD that comes with their books. However, these are not great but usually help me highlight my weak areas.

With that said, I took and passed 649, 647 and 646 without using anything more than CBT Nuggets and the MS Press books.

I guess I am not an expert in this area ... sorry icon_sad.gif
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been using Transcender and the MeasureUp that comes with the book for the 646 exam. I take it tomorrow so I'll let you know how they compare.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    I would be interested to know too as I am booked for 70-646 for the 1st Sept... I only have the measure up ones also which came with the book...
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
    I think the Measure Up ones in the book are quite good. I passed 646 with an 875.
    MCTS
  • drewkegdrewkeg Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently preparing for the 431 and like some of you have used transcender for mainly the 290 and 291 and a little for the 270. For those exams I would say they helped. I also used Measure Up and although they sometimes get a bad rap, thought they were also helpful.

Now for the 431, I would definitely agree with StupidBoy that they seem to over complicate the question. It was good to see this thread as it validates some of the concerns I've been having the last few days. With the other exams, I really felt as though I was learning by taking these practice exams, but now I just get demoralized by them. Transcender does a decent job with explanations. I make flash cards with some of the information from the answer explanation. I kind of just go through the tests and treat them like notes.

I went back to Measure Up. They also have a pretty good set of simulation questions too, which is very helpful.

So for me, for this exam, Measure Up, some transcender, TestOut (like it), and CBTNuggets (good, but like TestOut more).

Have Triplets, Need Beer
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I used Self-Test for 70-290 and 70-291. I understand they are owned by Transcender and basically the same.

I loved the 70-290 product. But, the 70-291 was rediculous. I thought I would fail based on the practice test. The real exam was a walk in the park compared to it.

I'm torn about buying another test from them.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wouldn't you rather be over-prepared?

How pissed would you be if it was really easy, gave you a false sense of mastery, and you ultimately failed?
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    What makes Transcender practice exams work is the fact that they are more difficult than the real exam. This ensurew you are fully prepared and ready to master the Certification test.

I would take that over a bunch of easy questions that I could easily pass, then when it comes time to take the exam, I fail because I didnt study hard enough....
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    Yes, I would rather be over prepared. But the 70-291 test leaned toward the extreme. As the original poster said, over the top in terms of minutae.

I like the Self-Test/Transcenders mostly because of the learning mode where you get the explainations.
  • drewkegdrewkeg Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, the ultimate goal here is being prepared for the exam The important thing is knowing what's out there and what works for you. However, I don't really think anyone is saying they would prefer easy questions. I guess that's why there is more than just one resource out there. Different strokes for different folks :)
    Now back to the books and my morning coffee icon_study.gif

Have Triplets, Need Beer
    I've used Transcender exams for 10 years now. Something's changed at that company and it shows in their product. The exams DON'T prepare one for the exam, and that's the problem. If anything, they do the opposite - they have you focus on things that will never come up in an exam, when you could use that time better focusing on the stuff that will.

The 646 exam was RIDDLED with errors. I emailed in no less than a dozen corrections to Transcender, which they dutifully accepted and thanked me for, and said that they'd issue an update. 2 weeks later there were still no updates available.

The explanations of the exam questions used to go into a good amount of detail about why the right answer was right, and why the wrong answers were wrong. Now they just seem to repeat the wrong answers, saying "You should not do <blah blah blah>" Ok, why not?

It's not an issue of making easy questions. It's an issue of making pertinent, relevent questions that highlight the concepts needed for the exam, and show up your weak areas.

If I had to guess, I say that the person or people responsible for making Transcender tests so good have moved on or left the company, and the people doing them now just aren't cutting it.
    MCTS
    I just took and passed 646 today. The measureUp that came with the MS Press Training Kit was better prep for this exam than the Transcender.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Congrats on the pass Jimmy, good job. What was your score?
    MCTS
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass Jimmy, good job. What was your score?

Thank you! 800